honda305 Home honda305 Auctions honda305 Gallery honda305 Forum Electronic Ignition honda305 Forum honda305 Forum honda305 Forum honda305 Racing honda305 Literature

Auctions  Mailing List    Registry   Marketplace

honda305.com Forum - FULL SCREEN

honda305.com Forum

□ Search
  □ Classified Ads
□ Register
□ FAQ 
  □ Search Ads
□ Profile 
  □ My ads
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

AGM battery alternative for early slim battery Dreams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Honda305.com Forum -> Honda Dream - CA72 | CA77 | CA78
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: AGM battery alternative for early slim battery Dreams Reply with quote

I was getting frustrated at the low availability of the JB-3 batteries for the early Dreams. I use AGM batteries in my CB77s and my 4-cyl Hondas, but could not find one dimensionally like the early battery. I have noticed that the AGM batteries seam to have more CCAs than similarly dimensioned wet cell lead/acid batteries. I found one on e-bay for $17 and figured what-the-hell, I'll try it. Item 140570492429 . It is a YTX7L and cranks the starter extremely well. I've done six 5-second cranks in rapid succession and the battery doesn't show a hint of weakness. The battery/tool tray holds it in, and I put a rubber sheet over it to insulate from grounding out the battery. The dimensions are 4.5" x 2.81" x 5.18". I have no info on the CCA of the battery or any personal long test data, and am well aware the original Dream batteries were 9Ah rated, but for the price I'm willing to roll the dice and see if it works out.

HT

battery 002.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.14 KB
 Viewed:  71 Time(s)

battery 002.JPG

battery 005.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  114.86 KB
 Viewed:  57 Time(s)

battery 005.JPG

battery 006.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.48 KB
 Viewed:  52 Time(s)

battery 006.JPG

e3steve
h305 Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a cracking, good find, HT!
lifewithoutparole
honda305.com Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: AGM Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone here had used AGM batteries...I have been thinking about replacing my CL77 battery (when it dies) with this type of battery...the lead acid batteries have typically lasted 2 years in my CL175, X6 and S90. I am going to research whether AGM's may last longer in Florida conditions..please let us know how this does over time. Thanks, Tim
lrutt
honda305.com Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running an AGM in my CA77 for over 3 years now, no problems at all. I do keep it on a tender when not riding but still, it has done better than any lead acid as tenders can boil those dry. I run AGM's in all my old bikes and get a minimum of 6 years use with a high of 8 years use across 15 different bikes, both old and new.
Bob750
honda305.com Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lrutt wrote:
I've been running an AGM in my CA77 for over 3 years now, no problems at all. I do keep it on a tender when not riding but still, it has done better than any lead acid as tenders can boil those dry. I run AGM's in all my old bikes and get a minimum of 6 years use with a high of 8 years use across 15 different bikes, both old and new.

Irutt, might you let me know what year your bike is and what specific battery you're running? We just got an early CA78 that needs the JB-2 battery. Luckily there was a new one on eBay that we snapped up. But eventually it too will need to be replaced. I run a Yuasa AGM in my CB750 K4, and would love to have one that fits into my wife's "new" CA78, but the dimensions of the JB-2 are odd and needed for the air cleaner cover to be able to be used and held in place.
mschehen
honda305.com Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Agm battery Reply with quote

Just ordered the same one for my dream. Thanks for the tip!
OldStan
honda305.com Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We just got an early CA78 that needs the JB-2 battery. Luckily there was a new one on eBay that we snapped up. But eventually it too will need to be replaced. I run a Yuasa AGM in my CB750 K4, and would love to have one that fits into my wife's "new" CA78, but the dimensions of the JB-2 are odd and needed for the air cleaner cover to be able to be used and held in place.

I just installed the YTX7L (exactly the same as the one pictured in the start of this thread) in my 63 CA78 that requires the JB-2 and used all the original hardware. It holds the air cleaner cover in place fine. I did make make a couple of tabs off the battery posts that drop down on the sides to mimic the original battery posts. The hot side I angled back for clearance from the hold down. I also put thin piece of rubber on top of the battery and in front of the hot terminal. The battery is shorter than the original but is held tightly and won't move.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Honda305.com Forum -> Honda Dream - CA72 | CA77 | CA78 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home