honda305 Home honda305 Auctions honda305 Gallery honda305 Forum Electronic Ignition honda305 Forum honda305 Forum honda305 Forum honda305 Racing honda305 Literature

Auctions  Mailing List    Registry   Marketplace

honda305.com Forum - FULL SCREEN

honda305.com Forum

□ Search
  □ Classified Ads
□ Register
□ FAQ 
  □ Search Ads
□ Profile 
  □ My ads
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB160 Spun Camshaft Sprocket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveAllenHonda
honda305.com Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: CB160 Spun Camshaft Sprocket Reply with quote

Hello All,
Went to purchase a Red 1969 CB160-been sitting many years.Hmmm-kicked over,good compression.Took it home,new battery,carb clean,points etc.Won't run.No spark-valves not
actuating.Suspected a broken camshaft chain.Engine apart and I see nice chain connected-
spun sprocket! I can see no marks of how to orient the correct degree if I were to get it welded in lieu of just purchasing another one.Have any of you encountered this?Also-I see no splines or evidence of how the sprocket was affixed in the first place!
Inquiring Minds want to know.
Thanks, Eric
G-Man
honda305.com Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: CB160 Spun Camshaft Sprocket Reply with quote

I think they are just shrunk on. I have one with a loose sprocket, too. Should be able to copy the alignment from another sprocket/cam.

G

SteveAllenHonda wrote:
Hello All,
Went to purchase a Red 1969 CB160-been sitting many years.Hmmm-kicked over,good compression.Took it home,new battery,carb clean,points etc.Won't run.No spark-valves not
actuating.Suspected a broken camshaft chain.Engine apart and I see nice chain connected-
spun sprocket! I can see no marks of how to orient the correct degree if I were to get it welded in lieu of just purchasing another one.Have any of you encountered this?Also-I see no splines or evidence of how the sprocket was affixed in the first place!
Inquiring Minds want to know.
Thanks, Eric

'67 S90 '77 CB400F
SteveAllenHonda
honda305.com Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You for the reply.That makes sense-shrunk on.Wonder how many have rotated slightly over the years leading owners with timing problems and no easy way to ascertain the cause!
Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Honda305.com Forum -> Honda: Other Twins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home