honda305 Home honda305 Auctions honda305 Gallery honda305 Forum Electronic Ignition honda305 Forum honda305 Forum honda305 Forum honda305 Racing honda305 Literature

Auctions  Mailing List    Registry   Marketplace

honda305.com Forum - FULL SCREEN

honda305.com Forum

□ Search
  □ Classified Ads
□ Register
□ FAQ 
  □ Search Ads
□ Profile 
  □ My ads
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

What is up with all the Sports post?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
choppadude
honda305.com Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: What is up with all the Sports post? Reply with quote

I like sports as much as the next guy BUT I joined this forum to learn more about the Honda CA77 model. Sorry to say that is just way too much effort to sort through all these sports post. Many pages have absolutely no post about motorcycles!
So after only a couple hours as a member I am leaving in search of a forum that is dedicated solely to these bikes. I know other forums allow other subjects to be posted but they have their own sections BUT not here. Sports post all over and all by the same author!
Anyone else feel the way I do?
DJM
honda305.com Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Sports posts Reply with quote

Sorry you're leaving so soon, the site has been hijacked by these so called 'sports fans' who post none bike related stuff to the site. Actually I think it's more or less an automated process so very difficult to stop.

The official site owner has done a runner and it seems nothing can be done to filter out all the crap sports related stuff.

However. it isn't all bad, all the old stuff going back for many years is still accessible if you search it out and plenty of active members are still on the site regularly.

When you log into the site, at the top right you will see a shortcut ' view posts since last visit'

Click on that and you will see all the recent stuff, just ignore all the sports related rubbish and rad the bike stuff, not too big deal.

The site is in a mess but don't give up on it, lots of help from real experts here and if you're looking for C,CA.CB and CL72 & 77 expertise you won't find better anywhere else.
choppadude
honda305.com Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the prompt reply. I guess I was a little worked up because this seemed like a highly recommended site for early Honda bike info and I am an information junky.
You explanation seems to clear things up for me and the site owners have my sympathy.
I will stick around and use the search feature to help weed out the unrelated stuff.

In case anyone reading this can help me, I want to convert my 1966 CA77 305 Dream from 6 volt to 12 volt. I did see a post that explained some but not heavy on specifics. My questions are, I have seen where a CL175 stator is used but what years can be used? Do I need the rotor also? Is the CL175 stator the same wiring color code as the original? If not, what wires go into which of the plug positions? Can I use a solid state regulator/rectifier and if so can someone steer me to a site to purchase one?
I know that other than these questions I need to change the coil and condenser to 12 volt replacements, change all bulbs to 12 volt and since I do not use the starter I will just be disconnecting the solenoid connections until a time I decide to update them. As it is now, I can start my bike with my hand and only need half of the stroke before it fires up.
Thanks again for the words of encouragement and thank you in advance to anyone taking time to read my post.
DJM
honda305.com Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: CA77 Dream voltage Reply with quote

I think you will find your '66 Dream is already 12 volt.

The earlier dry sump Dreams from around 58 - 60 were 6 volt but as far as I'm aware ALL wet sump engines, C,CA,CB and CL from 61 on were 12 volt electrics.
choppadude
honda305.com Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJM thanks you for your response and clearing this up for me. I mainly focus on Triumph and BSA bikes but have always kept a few old Honda 350's as well as the early Goldwing's around. This is only the second Dream I have owned and the other was over 30 years ago.
I do appreciate the help and will most likely be back for more of this excellent advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Honda305.com Forum -> Electrical - Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home