honda305 Home honda305 Auctions honda305 Gallery honda305 Forum Electronic Ignition honda305 Forum honda305 Forum honda305 Forum honda305 Racing honda305 Literature

Auctions  Mailing List    Registry   Marketplace

honda305.com Forum - FULL SCREEN

honda305.com Forum

Log In
□ Search
  □ Classified Ads
□ Register
□ FAQ 
  □ Search Ads
□ Profile 
  □ My ads
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

I'm about to take a hammer to my carb!

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Honda305.com Forum -> Carburation - Fuel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jkjoller
honda305.com Member


Joined: 14 May 2019
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: I'm about to take a hammer to my carb! Reply with quote

1962 Dream 305
Any help is appreciated.

Rebuilt the carb with new carb kit
- new float bowl gasket, new needle, new jets, etc.
- float does not have a hole in it (tested it and it floats in a can of gas) , and is not bent or dragging on the sides. Moves up and down freely
- Set float height to factory specs of 26.5 mm.
- Ive attached and removed it numerous times to check everything.
When I turn on the petcock and after a few minutes or so, gas starts to leak out between the float bowl cover and bottom of the carb. There are no holes in the float bowl and the gasket is seated correctly.
It looks like the float is not stopping the flow of gas. But I've checked it over and over and it looks to be correct.

What am I missing?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member


Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Posts: 7760
Location: KERRVILLE, TEXAS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm about to take a hammer to my carb! Reply with quote

2 questions.
Did you use a Keyster Kit?
Do you have the old parts?. ...........lm


jkjoller wrote:
1962 Dream 305
Any help is appreciated.

Rebuilt the carb with new carb kit
- new float bowl gasket, new needle, new jets, etc.
- float does not have a hole in it (tested it and it floats in a can of gas) , and is not bent or dragging on the sides. Moves up and down freely
- Set float height to factory specs of 26.5 mm.
- Ive attached and removed it numerous times to check everything.
When I turn on the petcock and after a few minutes or so, gas starts to leak out between the float bowl cover and bottom of the carb. There are no holes in the float bowl and the gasket is seated correctly.
It looks like the float is not stopping the flow of gas. But I've checked it over and over and it looks to be correct.

What am I missing?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member


Joined: 22 Feb 2017
Posts: 229
Location: Epsom, Surrey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure a hammer won't help. I'd try dropping the float bowl off and manually lift the float to see if the flow stops and also note at what point the flow stops. If I ever have a problem with the fuel needle not sealing I use a bit of metal polish on the needle tip and lightly lap the needle to the seat. Also check there is no crap in the fuel, no matter how many times you clean the carb if rust or paint is getting to the carb the needle will not sit on its seat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jkjoller
honda305.com Member


Joined: 14 May 2019
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoudMouse: Not sure if its a "Keyster Kit". Is that a brand? The kit I bought was from 2FastMoto off eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/311751459205). this kit does not come with the correct gasket though. Had to buy that separately.

yes still have the old parts.

Geoff Hastings: will try your suggestion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member


Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Posts: 7760
Location: KERRVILLE, TEXAS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you can call me at 830-895-0654?. .............lm


jkjoller wrote:
LoudMouse: Not sure if its a "Keyster Kit". Is that a brand? The kit I bought was from 2FastMoto off eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/311751459205). this kit does not come with the correct gasket though. Had to buy that separately.

yes still have the old parts.

Geoff Hastings: will try your suggestion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member


Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Posts: 7760
Location: KERRVILLE, TEXAS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've offered to help if you call.
If you don't want to call OK with me.
If you Just Read that message the offer is still there. .................lm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:
Any chance you can call me at 830-895-0654?. .............lm


jkjoller wrote:
LoudMouse: Not sure if its a "Keyster Kit". Is that a brand? The kit I bought was from 2FastMoto off eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/311751459205). this kit does not come with the correct gasket though. Had to buy that separately.

yes still have the old parts.

Geoff Hastings: will try your suggestion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Honda305.com Forum -> Carburation - Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  

 


 

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home