honda305 Home honda305 Auctions honda305 Gallery honda305 Forum Electronic Ignition honda305 Forum honda305 Forum honda305 Forum honda305 Racing honda305 Literature

Auctions  Mailing List    Registry   Marketplace

honda305.com Forum - FULL SCREEN

honda305.com Forum

□ Search
  □ Classified Ads
□ Register
□ FAQ 
  □ Search Ads
□ Profile 
  □ My ads
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Honda CB160 forks vs. CB200 forks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plankspanker
honda305.com Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Honda CB160 forks vs. CB200 forks Reply with quote

Hi everyone -
Just posting to get opinions about one of the upgrades sometimes made for CB160 race bikes; namely, changing to CB200 forks. Would like to hear thoughts on whether there is a distinct difference in these forks (springs or other components) that warrant such an upgrade. Thanks!

Scott
teazer
honda305.com Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, if you are still around and need an answer, Cb200 forks are better in two major ways.

First the top bolt is like modern forks and that makes for a stiffer clamping arrangement plus the fork height can be adjusted. Cb160/175 forks are similar design to CB72/77 which are not height adjustable. That's fine on the street but sometimes on a race bike it is advantageous to be able to adjust front ride height.

The damper design is also much better. CB200 has a damper rod with piston ring and they can be converted to gold valve emulators for superior damping. CB160/175 and CB 72/77 use a shuttle valve type design which is less adjustable.

So for a race bike, a set of CB200 forks is IMHO a useful upgrade. That said, is the suspension holding you back? For most of us, skill is more lacking than suspension. We have raced for decades with more or less stock CB160/175 and Cb72/77 suspension and it has never been a limiting factor.

But if you have the choices and the budget, I'd go with 200 forks- assuming the rules allow them
Adisak
honda305.com Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know very much offline. Please update the other stories I'm waiting for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Honda305.com Forum -> Honda: Other Twins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home