honda305 Home honda305 Auctions honda305 Gallery honda305 Forum Electronic Ignition honda305 Forum honda305 Forum honda305 Forum honda305 Racing honda305 Literature

Auctions  Mailing List    Registry   Marketplace

honda305.com Forum - FULL SCREEN

honda305.com Forum

Log In
□ Search
  □ Classified Ads
□ Register
□ FAQ 
  □ Search Ads
□ Profile 
  □ My ads
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Starter Motor issues for 63' CB77 Superhawk???
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Honda305.com Forum -> Motors - 247cc | 305cc | 337cc | 350cc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
baddxample
honda305.com Member


Joined: 17 Aug 2008
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loudo!!! Thank you very much for the link!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
e3steve
h305 Moderator


Joined: 31 Oct 2003
Posts: 2485
Location: Mallorca, Spain & Warsash, UK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online fiche here http://www.westernhillshondayamaha.com/fiche_select1.asp?cat=Motorcycles&mfg=Honda Click on 1961 for CB72 / 77.
You'll need a starter button of some description, magnetic switch (relay / solenoid), associated cabling, alternator rotor (incorporating starter clutch with 3 x each: rollers, springs & caps (plungers), chain, sprocket, sprocket retainer & screw, plus crankshaft oil seals (x2 [inner & outer]); without a sprocket, yours probably has a crankshaft oil seal from a CL motor.

Come back if you need help with finding the unclear parts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
marzini
honda305.com Member


Joined: 08 Nov 2007
Posts: 35
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Loudo and e3steve for the great resource links!
_________________
'62 CB77, '76 XT500
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member


Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Posts: 5457
Location: KERRVILLE, TEXAS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the CL crank won't oil the starter sprocket so ya need a CB crank. ..........lm

e3steve wrote:
Online fiche here http://www.westernhillshondayamaha.com/fiche_select1.asp?cat=Motorcycles&mfg=Honda Click on 1961 for CB72 / 77.
You'll need a starter button of some description, magnetic switch (relay / solenoid), associated cabling, alternator rotor (incorporating starter clutch with 3 x each: rollers, springs & caps (plungers), chain, sprocket, sprocket retainer & screw, plus crankshaft oil seals (x2 [inner & outer]); without a sprocket, yours probably has a crankshaft oil seal from a CL motor.

Come back if you need help with finding the unclear parts.

_________________
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
e3steve
h305 Moderator


Joined: 31 Oct 2003
Posts: 2485
Location: Mallorca, Spain & Warsash, UK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And the CL crank won't oil the starter sprocket so ya need a CB crank. ..........lm


Holy crap, Ed; you don't miss a thing! I'd completely overlooked that aspect. God is alive & well, living in Kerrville......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
e3steve
h305 Moderator


Joined: 31 Oct 2003
Posts: 2485
Location: Mallorca, Spain & Warsash, UK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baddxample wrote:
Thank you goes out to those who are willing to help, it's much appreciated. I have 2 manuals but they honestly don't list part #'s - they are more like User Manuals than anything else...

I have a 63' CB77 Superhawk, that was converted into a cafe racer with no kick starter or electric starter. Whenever I wanted to go out on a ride, I'd have to bump start the bike. I've never had a problem with that but its harsh on the 2nd gear and try doing that in sweltering summer heat with all your gear on! Not fun at all.
I've decided to put the starter motor into action to save myself the troubles... I've gotten the motor the LH & RH covers, trying to get my hands on a starter chain and whatever else I will need from there.

That's where we are as of today....


What's the deal here? Have you had the r/h crankcase cover off to see what parts you do have still installed on the motor?

Here's a 'start' on your electrical needs: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/61-68-Honda-CB77-Superhawk-305-Starter-Solenoid_W0QQitemZ260391775230QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item260391775230&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
e3steve
h305 Moderator


Joined: 31 Oct 2003
Posts: 2485
Location: Mallorca, Spain & Warsash, UK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baddxample wrote:
Thank you goes out to those who are willing to help, it's much appreciated. I have 2 manuals but they honestly don't list part #'s - they are more like User Manuals than anything else...

I have a 63' CB77 Superhawk, that was converted into a cafe racer with no kick starter or electric starter. Whenever I wanted to go out on a ride, I'd have to bump start the bike. I've never had a problem with that but its harsh on the 2nd gear and try doing that in sweltering summer heat with all your gear on! Not fun at all.
I've decided to put the starter motor into action to save myself the troubles... I've gotten the motor the LH & RH covers, trying to get my hands on a starter chain and whatever else I will need from there.

That's where we are as of today....

If, when you take off the r/h crankcase cover, your rotor doesn't look like the one here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/61-68-Honda-CB77-Superhawk-305-Starter-Clutch-Flywheel_W0QQitemZ260391699514QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item260391699514&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

then proceed with caution because, as Ed knowledgably, rightly and concisely stated
Quote:
And the CL crank won't oil the starter sprocket so ya need a CB crank. ..........lm

However, if it does look like that one, then there's a goodly collection of the additional mechanical parts that you'll need.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Honda305.com Forum -> Motors - 247cc | 305cc | 337cc | 350cc All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  

 


 

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home