Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

K&N FILTERS

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:45 pm

As I stated earlier "Good Luck" .................emo

Vince Lupo wrote:Whatever you do Ed, don't look at the latest posting in 'SuperHawk Meets Triton'....you won't like what you see! Lots more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.....

But are those tubes sucking or are they venting? If they are pushing air out, then how does putting them through a filter affect things? If they are sucking, then I can understand your point, and then I'll see about bridging them as you suggest.

Superchicken
honda305.com Member

Post by Superchicken » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:05 pm

I don't know a thing about the origanal reason for those pipes, I do know that they need to looped together, or blocked off. If not, you are running the engine on outside air, that didn't get filtered.

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:48 am

Here again, I'm wondering if the pipes allow air/pressure/oil to escape, or do they suck air in to cool? If they're acting as a vent, then wouldn't that mean that air/pressure/oil is going out? As I say, if it's sucking air, then I could understand the use of a filter (but if Honda discontinued them, how much air did they bring to the head in the first place?), but if they're used as an 'escape' or overflow, then how does going through a filter give any advantage?
Last edited by Vince Lupo on Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:32 pm

I've done a bit more digging on the function of these tubes, and I think they are used to control a build up of oil/pressure in the crankcase, and they are used as a vent. So, I'm still wondering if these puppies suck in any air, as I checked the inlet portion of the spigot on the filter frames and it's about 1/8" or less. And, if they are supposed to be venting, wouldn't closing the system by looping one tube into another eliminate that needed venting? When they eliminated that in 1967, did they replace it with some other kind of venting? It's not a big deal to feed those tubes into a filter (like a small oil vent filter), but I just want to make sure that it is essential that it be done.

I'm sure that most everyone knows where these tubes end up, but here's a photo of it anyways. The tubes exit the engine here (one on each side at the base of the head at the rear of the engine), and the tubes curve down and then up into the spigot on the air filter frame.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to understand it all as I'm sure the rest of us are.
Attachments
Vent.jpg
Last edited by Vince Lupo on Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:11 am

Yet another update (plus I found out what the hoses do through Bill Silver and it's really not that big a deal. "There is no real vacuum signal present in these hoses", to quote him.). I found a couple of small crankcase vent filters that I'm going to use at the ends of those two hoses just to satisfy my paranoid self. K&N, Drag Specialties and EMGO (among others) make these kinds of filters, and I think I'd prefer to have more venting than less, so I'll just do this and we should be fine....and believe it or not, I went for a chilly ride on the 24th and I do notice a bit more oomph in terms of power. Plug check turned out nice and tan, so we're good to go....

Thanks for everyone's help!
Attachments
K&N Vent Filter.jpg
K&N Vent Filter.jpg (3.12 KiB) Viewed 6638 times

bass-o-matic

Part Numbers

Post by bass-o-matic » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:49 am

Can someone post the K and N part numbers for the the Vent and Air Filters? Thanks

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:10 pm

Part # for the vent filter is 62-1090. I'll have to track down the part number for the air filter. There are two different numbers on the filter itself (FO17A4 and BO3OA4), but they don't seem to correspond to the part numbers listed on the K&N website. I'll get back to you on the number.....

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home