Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Inconsistent idle/backfire

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
Gregg W
honda305.com Member

Inconsistent idle/backfire

Post by Gregg W » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:26 am

1965 cl77, 16k miles. Bike has electronic ignition & timing is set at the factory marks. Valves carefully adjusted. Carbs rebuilt by previous owner, but not sure which kit was used. Floats are fine & needle jets look new. I bought Keyster kits via Internet because one needle/seat was leaking. That problem is solved. What's the correct float setting for these carbs and how is it measured? Any assistance would be appreciated.......GW

Gregg W
honda305.com Member

Re: Inconsistent idle/backfire

Post by Gregg W » Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:05 pm

Well, part of this problem is solved. Carb air screws were out too far, about 1 and 1/2 turns on each side. Air screws are now between 1/4 and 1/2 turn from being seated. I checked the float levels again, confirming that both are 1" from the edge of the float bowl. The Bill Silver books I have don't list the setting for the floats (at least I can't find them!) and the CL72 manual that I have indicates 1.04", but I believe this is for the older style carb. And the backfire is reduced, now just occasional. Still, I'm looking for some carb tips on the proper float level. Thanks.........GW

Gregg W
honda305.com Member

Re: Inconsistent idle/backfire

Post by Gregg W » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:33 pm

I believe I can answer my own questions! My carbs were rebuilt with Keyster kits; the right carb is fine, plug looks good. Left carb for some reason is lean, due either to a float level that's too low or an inconsistency in the jet size or needle machine process. Today, I raised the needle on the left carb to full rich - the bike runs great! The idle is perfect, the engine runs cleanly on both cylinders, and absolutely no backfire! Now, it looks like I need to find some original (or good used) Honda jets and needles. You can bet I'm going to make sure the float levels are equal, and use a magnifying glass to carefully inspect all internal carb passages. I'll use a micrometer to make sure both needles are identical. Does this forum help? You betcha! I've read a lot of the posts and always learn something.......GW

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home