Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Petcocks and Flowing Fuel

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Petcocks and Flowing Fuel

Post by Hahnda » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:06 am

Not really a huge problem going on, just an annoying one. It has been a few bikes, all have the dual outlet petcock. A few that come to mind are my CL77, and customers CB360, and a customers CL77. All the bikes have inline fuel filters. Not all the filters were the same brand but they are pretty much the same type. If the bike is left to sit for a few days and you start the bike it will only run on one side. It is not always the same side. The side that is not running is not getting gas. Now if I pull the gas line going to the petcock on the non running cylinder and let it flow just a bit and then connect the line back up and visually see the gas flowing to the carb. Start it back up and running again on both cylinders. No problems for the rest of the day. It is like a small air lock is forming in the system.

The odd thing is that I can ride the bike around on one cylinder and the other will not kick in unless I do the fuel line disconnect. As I said earlier its not just one bike but a few of them. All Hondas with the duel outlet petcock.

Anybody experience this before?

Thanks

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:19 am

Yes, I have had the same experience on a few bikes using inline filters! I have no idea why!

Davo

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:23 am

Well its comforting to know I am not the only one!

I use inline filters on other singles, twins, fours, etc without a problem. Different arrangements such as dual petcocks, crossovers, etc. Its only the Honda dual output petcocks that are giving me grief.

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:32 am

Yeah, same here. But not all of them. I have them on my CB77 cafe, never an issue!

Davo

DCON
honda305.com Member

Post by DCON » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:12 pm

just thinking outloud,
could it be that the vent in the gascap?
bigger vent on davomotos cafe?
switch caps for us and see if it changes?

Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Post by Jlovvorn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:23 pm

I had this problem of my cb160 and my cb77 until I ditched the inline fuel filters.

I don't think these gravity systems can cope with a filter designed for a car with a fuel pump.

Just my feeling, but my fuel delivery problems have magically disappeared since I canned the little fuel filters.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:26 pm

I agree if you use a car gas filter however there are small ARROW SHAPED ones which can/will filter and allow the gas to flow. .............lm
Jlovvorn wrote:I had this problem of my cb160 and my cb77 until I ditched the inline fuel filters.

I don't think these gravity systems can cope with a filter designed for a car with a fuel pump.

Just my feeling, but my fuel delivery problems have magically disappeared since I canned the little fuel filters.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home