Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Petcocks and Flowing Fuel

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Post by Jlovvorn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:32 pm

Nice. I should look into that, as my tanks are ok but far from perfect.

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:37 pm

The filters I am using are the ones I use on all bikes. They are the small filters with a little arrow on them dictating which direction they should be installed for flow. After I pull the fuel line and reattach all is fine for a couple of days. After a week or so if I start it up I need to detach and reattach. This is not just one bike. This is my CL77, a customers CL77 that already had these filters on it and a CB360 I installed these filters on. The CB360 has a similar petcock.

Its almost like I have to burp it. When I detach the fuel line from one side it takes second to start flowing, once it does I reattach and you can see the fuel flowing in the transparent lines I use until the bowl fills.

Even though my petcock seems to be working fine I am going to rebuild it with new components and see if that takes care of it.

volare71
honda305.com Member

crudded up petcock

Post by volare71 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:15 pm

I am now an expert at petcock rebuilding. An O-ring from the local hardware store plumbing dept. or (16958-268-010), a fuel gasket(16955-268-020), and a new screen (16957-268-010) paper clips, awls scotchbrite pads and carb cleaner. Wear gloves the carb cleaner will tear the skin off your fingers and don't breathe it in.
Attachments
This is what sitting fuel does
This is what sitting fuel does

volare71
honda305.com Member

cruddy fuel

Post by volare71 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:18 pm

Here is the screen. Might as well lay in a stock of them
Attachments
This is what sitting with fuel will do
This is what sitting with fuel will do

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:47 am

DCON wrote:just thinking outloud,
could it be that the vent in the gascap?
bigger vent on davomotos cafe?
switch caps for us and see if it changes?
The cafe does have a later Honda cap with a vent nipple in the middle , so you may have it there!

Davo

mark acker
honda305.com Member

fuel flow problems

Post by mark acker » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:20 pm

I have a 1967 Honda 305 scrambler CL77. I can't get the fuel to flow evenly from the petcock to the fuel lines to the carbs. One flows free, the other line won't flow at all. I can block the flowing line and other line starts to flow, but slowly and weakly. When I unblock the other line, that one stops flowing.

The petcock is cleaned, the ports inside are clear. Gas is getting to the petcock, but the trouble starts there. The petcock packing gasket behind the lever has been changed too.

Any help out there?

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Re: fuel flow problems

Post by Seadog » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:03 pm

mark acker wrote:I have a 1967 Honda 305 scrambler CL77. I can't get the fuel to flow evenly from the petcock to the fuel lines to the carbs. One flows free, the other line won't flow at all. I can block the flowing line and other line starts to flow, but slowly and weakly. When I unblock the other line, that one stops flowing.

The petcock is cleaned, the ports inside are clear. Gas is getting to the petcock, but the trouble starts there. The petcock packing gasket behind the lever has been changed too.

Any help out there?
I'm not sure I'm understanding. Are you doing this flow testing with the two hoses still attached to the petcock and just disconnected from the carburetors or are you pulling the hoses off of the petcock and then comparing flow from the petcock's two metal hose fittings?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home