Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Cracked Gas Tank

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
Glenardo
honda305.com Member

Cracked Gas Tank

Post by Glenardo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:58 pm

Long time since I've posted, bikes been running great until..... Went to go for a ride today and the left carb slide was sticking. So I go to pull off the tank to access the carbs and forgot to disconnect one of the fuel lines and I drop the tank on the ground. Now I have small split in the front upper seam. It's about 1/2 - 3/4" right above the front tank mount cups. I'm so p*ssed at my stupidity & impatience!!!

So what to do now?? JB weld it?? Have it professionally welded and then repainted?? I'll try to take a pic and post it if needed.

Any suggestions and/or sympathy would be appreciated..

[/img]

JSharpPhoto
honda305.com Member

Post by JSharpPhoto » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:11 pm

my sympathy. we've all done stupid shit.

have the tank glass blasted, rewelded, then repainted.

bbap
honda305.com Member

Post by bbap » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:37 pm

My bone head moment occurred when I was cleaning a carb from pre-70's bultaco. I used my wire wheel on my grinder to try and remove the remnants of a gasket. The wheel grabbed that puppy out of my hand and shot it down on the concrete floor with a vengeance only seen in films. My "irreplaceable" carb was hammered....I still think of it whenever I over-tool while cleaning up a part.

I agree with JSharpP.....Steve
CA78 - 3111XX - Frame
CA77E - 3161XX - Engine

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:16 pm

They make heat sink compounds that might help save your paint if your tank was recently repainted. Clean the area where the crack is and have a pro TIG weld it using wet towels or heat sink material. Then your painter might be able to touch up the area and shoot it with clear to hide the repair.

This might have been a stroke of good fortune. If the tank cracked that easily, my suspicion is it might have been ready to let go from vibration and could have cracked while riding and splashed gasoline on your hot exhaust. I'd look for a silver lining here and be glad this happened when and where it did.

regards,
Rob

Ford Guy
honda305.com Member

Post by Ford Guy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:16 pm

Rob
I would have to agree with you on this one. I would think if one were to ride one of the vintage honda's on the upper midwest streets and hit the normal potholes it would be as greaqt if not greater of an impact as droping the tank while removing it. So I would agree the crack had already started before hand. Has anyone else ever had a tank crack?

Jon

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:57 pm

You may be able to fix it with a pour in tank sealer. Use the sealer per the instructions but then when finished set the split area as the lowest point and the excess sealer will want to pool there making it thicker in the damaged area. don't use a sealer like Kreem, need to use a 2 part sealer that adheres to the walls better than Kreem does.

JSharpPhoto
honda305.com Member

Post by JSharpPhoto » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:45 am

it might not hurt to try the tank sealer method. do everything listed above, but I would first cover the crack with some painters tape to prevent it seeping out.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home