Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

66 Dream 305 Bogging Down

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
aburg
honda305.com Member

66 Dream 305 Bogging Down

Post by aburg » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:32 am

Hi! I have been lurking here for a bit and trying to get my 66 CA77 to run correctly.

The bike starts easily and idles well. I can get going but under 3/4 to full throttle it really bogs down/almost stalls until I back off. This pretty much limits my top end to about 45-50 mph.

Plugs seem to foul as well - new ones work great for a ride or 2 and then the issue starts up.

Any ideas/suggestion for a newbie would be much appreciated!

Aaron

48lesco
honda305.com Member

Post by 48lesco » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:21 pm

Hi and welcome! I'd start with making sure the valves are in adjustment, then points and timing, then move on to the fuel system. Tank venting? Petcock screen clear and flowing? Float height correct? Is there original brass in the carburetor? Air filter good? I assume you've done a few of these things, but let us know! Add your location too, never know if someone who might help is nearby!

aburg
honda305.com Member

Post by aburg » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:51 pm

Hi!

I haven't done anything with the valves... will need to look into how to do that.

The timing is using a Charlie's Place electronic ignition (this issue existed before that was installed).

Petcock has been rebuilt. Original brass in the carb (It has been cleaned up).

Air filter is an aftermarket foam job - not so sure about it so this is one area I am suspicious of. May just take it off and see if that makes a difference as a test. I don't have the tube or original filter.

Also not sure about testing for tank venting issues?

I am in Tracy, CA - Nor Cal central valley.

Thanks so much for your kind reply.
Aaron
48lesco wrote:Hi and welcome! I'd start with making sure the valves are in adjustment, then points and timing, then move on to the fuel system. Tank venting? Petcock screen clear and flowing? Float height correct? Is there original brass in the carburetor? Air filter good? I assume you've done a few of these things, but let us know! Add your location too, never know if someone who might help is nearby!

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:50 pm

Please add that info to the information asked when you joined. .......................lm

aburg wrote:Hi!

I haven't done anything with the valves... will need to look into how to do that.

The timing is using a Charlie's Place electronic ignition (this issue existed before that was installed).

Air filter is an aftermarket foam job - not so sure about it so this is one area I am suspicious of. May just take it off and see if that makes a difference as a test. I don't have the tube or original filter.

Aaron
48lesco wrote:Hi and welcome! I'd start with making sure the valves are in adjustment, then points and timing, then move on to the fuel system. Tank venting? Petcock screen clear and flowing? Float height correct? Is there original brass in the carburetor? Air filter good? I assume you've done a few of these things, but let us know! Add your location too, never know if someone who might help is nearby!

48lesco
honda305.com Member

Post by 48lesco » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:00 am

You could check fuel flow issues by draining the tank from the carb bowl drain. If flow slows or stops after a few minutes, open the gas cap and see if it resumes. After re-reading your original post, it seems that new plugs solves the problem for a short period? The Dreams I've had run much better on D6HA plugs (hotter than D8). The resistor caps can also make a difference. I'd at least trim off a 1/4" of plug wire and reinstall if not replace them. I don't think your issue is related to valve clearance unless it's way out but you should still check/adjust. Not that hard and should be plenty of info on this forum on how to do that.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:29 am

Do test with the filter off. ..........lm

aburg wrote:Hi!

Aaron

aburg
honda305.com Member

Post by aburg » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:41 am

lm - Thanks for your reply. I tried it last night and no change. If I rev it up slow, it will get rev up, but a quick twist of the throttle brings it on - the motor almost dies until I let up. Under load, it is the same thing - opening it up just bogs it down.

It smells like it is running rich when I do that so I feel it is more of a "too much fuel" issue than not enough air?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home