Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Left cylinder cutting out mid-rpm range/CL-77

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
Billiam
honda305.com Member

Post by Billiam » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:50 am

Thats interesting CB. I will be removing the ones on mine. Meantime, still feeling it was fuel shortage on mine I raised the needles to the max then found a 140 jet on ebay. Felt in my water that the thread would be different. It was. 0.8mm pitch as opposed to the original 1mm. Did find a die on line but the price ! Gave it some more thought and remembered a couple of thread files I had years ago. Found them and with a 1mm section- result. Just tickled the thread enough allow a fit. Did this with carb in situ. While on my back checked the float height with the gauge I made earlier. AOK. Now the interesting bit. For no reason at all I lifted the floats up to the max height ---- they stayed there WHAT !!! Repeated - same thing. Cause - they were being held up by the f/bowl gasket supplied in the overhaul kit.
Eased to clear it. Will let you know the result.
How did Pratt & Witney ever get their twenty seven cylinder radials to run right !

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: 4.5 months later I figured it out, well, Loud Mouse did!

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:23 am

You are welcome. ..................lm
CandyBlue wrote:After a few conversations with Mr. Moore the last time I called him we had a near 45 minute conversation about his days of racing and working on these engines. Some gems of a story were in there.... After a while he suddenly stops and asks, "do you have overflow hoses coming off the nipples on the bottom of the float bowls?" Yep I said. He then happily informed me CL77 carbs were NOT designed to have hoses hanging off those tubes, as they not only drain an overage of fuel in the bowl, but also regulate proper breathing for the (I don't exactly recall) slow or pilot jet. I went over everything and nothing was working. Walked over, ripped off hoses and it ran like a DREAM, 305 that is. Could not believe it. He was laughing into the phone with a glass of bourbon. Ed, your a gem and single handedly finished my restoration for me. So many thanks. I never, ever would have tried that.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home