Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Left cylinder cutting out mid-rpm range/CL-77

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
Billiam
honda305.com Member

Post by Billiam » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:06 am

You are not alone. Almost in the same boat myself. All as yours, instant starter and all that but the L/h cylinder is a passenger untill she's really reving. Will be trying to proove the coil etc before stripping the carb - again.
I'll be watching this space. Best of Luck.

Geeky160
honda305.com Member

Post by Geeky160 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:00 am

Just a thought, make sure that the points assembly is not close enough to the cover etc. to arc. I guess one way to help prove that is run without the points cover on to check it. That is if you don't have a fuel leak!

CandyBlue
honda305.com Member

Post by CandyBlue » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:22 am

I once had a Yama XS 650 that had a cylinder that only sprang to life when I'd really hammer the throttle, a little different than my problem here Billiam, but yours reminds me of that. Turns out that was a hairline crack in the red insulator between the carb and the head, so only intense suction from a high revving engine could pull gas through. Maybe try that? I've actually been running bike without points cover in this process to double check settings as I go.. will keep updating. I restored entire bike but can't tweak a carb! Ahhh. It that's it...still have to try swapping leads but alas, being Sunday I have to spend time with family...don't they know how much time it takes away from the 305???

CandyBlue
honda305.com Member

Post by CandyBlue » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:36 pm

Update, as it's stopped raining. Trimmed left plug wire, plenty of wire exposed and reattached and same shit. Then switched leads and green and yellow wires and blamo! The right side was cutting out now. So it's electrical which is progress, thought I'd lost that lovin' feeling when it comes to my carbs! So since I got my coils tested it has to be points unless the plug wire is grounding out somewhere. I'll check points for cleanliness (again), check plug wire and most likely get a new set of points and go from there. She really likes to make me work!

Billiam
honda305.com Member

Post by Billiam » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:55 am

I'm still with you Bro. After blowing out the pilot jet ways, thought I had cracked it. Rode it round the house to put away in the garage. Brilliant. Next day in great expectation went on a run with my Grumpy Club mates to a coutry pub with excellent, brewed on the premises, beer. Just as well, the bike was crap from the off. Used about 10 litres to do just 80 miles . All in bits now waiting new pattern coils. I have new condensers in stock. They cost more than the coils. Got them from the U.S. but all the surcharges I was clobbered with, doubled the cost. Without a doubt after all that expense it will turn out to be the carbs. Grrhh !
You call yours "She". I call mine Bloody Bastard but keep it to yourself.
Illegitimi non carborundum

CandyBlue
honda305.com Member

Post by CandyBlue » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:26 am

Drives ya buggin mad doesn't it? Just got to shop, going through points, possible shorts etc and if I can't find anything, I'll just get a new set of points and go from there. Good luck with yours, I'll update as well. Arrived to a nice puddle of gas on floor too which reminds me I didn't put washers on bolts holding petcock to tank. Gotta drain tank now too yes! Saturday, Saturday... Saturday

CandyBlue
honda305.com Member

4.5 months later I figured it out, well, Loud Mouse did!

Post by CandyBlue » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:55 pm

After a few conversations with Mr. Moore the last time I called him we had a near 45 minute conversation about his days of racing and working on these engines. Some gems of a story were in there.... After a while he suddenly stops and asks, "do you have overflow hoses coming off the nipples on the bottom of the float bowls?" Yep I said. He then happily informed me CL77 carbs were NOT designed to have hoses hanging off those tubes, as they not only drain an overage of fuel in the bowl, but also regulate proper breathing for the (I don't exactly recall) slow or pilot jet. I went over everything and nothing was working. Walked over, ripped off hoses and it ran like a DREAM, 305 that is. Could not believe it. He was laughing into the phone with a glass of bourbon. Ed, your a gem and single handedly finished my restoration for me. So many thanks. I never, ever would have tried that.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home