Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Inlet manifold insulator

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Inlet manifold insulator

Post by Geoff Hastings » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:52 pm

I've just been investigating the general lack of get up and with my CA77 and found the inlet insulator is too small, it does not cover the o-ring properly. I looked at a couple on eBay and they have a semi circular groove, does anyone know the purpose of this groove?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (148.77 KiB) Viewed 2591 times

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Inlet manifold insulator

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:57 pm

Not to ponder what and why.
You need to get the spacer made by HONDA for that DREAM engine and go from there. .............lm
Geoff Hastings wrote:I've just been investigating the general lack of get up and with my CA77 and found the inlet insulator is too small, it does not cover the o-ring properly. I looked at a couple on eBay and they have a semi circular groove, does anyone know the purpose of this groove?

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:05 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Not to ponder what and why.
You need to get the spacer made by HONDA for that DREAM engine and go from there. .............lm
Geoff Hastings wrote:I've just been investigating the general lack of get up and with my CA77 and found the inlet insulator is too small, it does not cover the o-ring properly. I looked at a couple on eBay and they have a semi circular groove, does anyone know the purpose of this groove?
I appreciate the sentiment but the only original ones I've seen are in the states at about £30 including postage so thought a generic fibre insulator of the same dimensions for £5 would be preferable. Also, I do like to know why particular design is used.

Nick
honda305.com Member

Post by Nick » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:46 am

Whatever insulator you end up using, better check it for flatness. Had mine off a while back and discovered that it was warped.
Do what you've always done and you'll get what you've always had.

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Carb insulator

Post by Geoff Hastings » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:56 am

Nick wrote:Whatever insulator you end up using, better check it for flatness. Had mine off a while back and discovered that it was warped.
Thanks Nick, always worth checking including the carb flange for distortion. I've had a closer look at the pictures on eBay and it would appear that there is also a tiny hole drilled in the insulator, does this hole connect to the semi circular groove?

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: Carb insulator

Post by G-Man » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:40 am

You really need to get the correct part for your carb if you want it to run correctly. The differences probably affect only the slow running circuit.

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/par ... 211259020/

G
Geoff Hastings wrote:
Nick wrote:Whatever insulator you end up using, better check it for flatness. Had mine off a while back and discovered that it was warped.
Thanks Nick, always worth checking including the carb flange for distortion. I've had a closer look at the pictures on eBay and it would appear that there is also a tiny hole drilled in the insulator, does this hole connect to the semi circular groove?
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:01 am

I supose I misunderstood what you needed.
If it's to much money to get the proper part then why not just bolt the carb direct to the head!. .............lm

Geoff Hastings wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Not to ponder what and why.
I appreciate the sentiment but the only original ones I've seen are in the states at about £30 including postage so thought a generic fibre insulator of the same dimensions for £5 would be preferable. Also, I do like to know why particular design is used.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home