honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Fuel flowing out of left carb (carb kits)

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
3030vision
honda305.com Member

Fuel flowing out of left carb (carb kits)

Post by 3030vision » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:34 pm

My CB77 has been sitting for a long while. Got my key issue sorted and tried to start her up last night. Turned over for a couple seconds after a lot of kicking, but fuel is pouring out of the left carb. Sounds like I should rebuild both carbs.

I've been looking around on the forum for info about carb rebuild kits and the only thing I've gleaned is people are mixed about Keyster kits (made in Japan) and many people dislike Sudco kits.

Are there other options I should look into? Are the Japanese kits superior to the Taiwanese ones? Perhaps there's no real consensus on the best kit, which is why I'm not finding an answer.

I'll admit I'm a little intimidated by all those tiny parts and some of the discussions I've read, but getting the kits in hand is the first step.

Thanks in advance.

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:13 pm

kit may not be necessary. fuel is getting by the needle valve, but that can be caused by a small piece of contaminate getting between the needle and the seat, or the float sticking. Even setting for a long period there could be some corrosion in there. A good cleaning could do it. Mine had fuel leaking from both carbs. I removed and cleaned the seats with metal polish and a Q tip, chucked the needles in a drill and polished it with metal polish on a rag, no more drip.
63 CA78

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:02 pm

Agree with Stan on the needles and seats, but if you HAVE to get rebuilding kits, I've had very good results with the ones from scramblercycle.com. Regards, Chase

3030vision
honda305.com Member

Post by 3030vision » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:03 am

Thanks for the replies. I started cleaning the carbs tonight.

Dumb question: Do I have to take the carbs off to do the cleaning you're recommending?

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:29 am

3030vision wrote: ...Dumb question: Do I have to take the carbs off to do the cleaning you're recommending?
YES!

3030vision
honda305.com Member

Post by 3030vision » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:41 pm

cknight wrote:Agree with Stan on the needles and seats, but if you HAVE to get rebuilding kits, I've had very good results with the ones from scramblercycle.com. Regards, Chase
I haven't given up on cleaning the carbs further, but I was looking at the kits on scramblercyle.com and I noticed a few things that their kit might not make work for me:

- It doesn't appear that they provide gaskets for the round-style carbs
- It doesn't sound like they provide early JIS thread pitch main jets

4into1 claims that their kits are they only ones on the market that have the early JIS thread pitch jets:

http://4into1.com/carburetor-rebuild-co ... uper-hawk/

Have folks had decent luck with those?

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:55 pm

3030vision wrote:I haven't given up on cleaning the carbs further, but I was looking at the kits on scramblercyle.com and I noticed a few things that their kit might not make work for me
Kevin, the owner of Scambler Cycle, is a forum member here (Hahnda). If you have questions about the JIS pitch on the mains, contact him at Kevin@scramblercycle.com

HT

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home