Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

NON ETHANOL GAS TO WINTERIZE

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
JAWDOC
honda305.com Member

NON ETHANOL GAS TO WINTERIZE

Post by JAWDOC » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:54 pm

WHAT IS THE GENERAL FEELING ABOUT USING NON ETHENOL GAS TO STORE 1965 CL77 OVER THE WINTER MONTHS ? ALSO DO YOU RECOMMEND STARTING MY BIKE ONCE A WEEK OR LETTING IT SIT IN MY HEATED GARAGE UNTIL THE SPRING , THANKS ELLIOT

Goodysnap
honda305.com Member

Post by Goodysnap » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:17 pm

You'll be Ok for just over one winter season, even with 10% Ethanol. Top the tank to full so there is little to no oxygen in the tank and just run a tank through it in the spring and you'll be good. Anything longer than one season will require a different plan of attack.
64' CB77
65' CB160

cadman
honda305.com Member

Winter Fuel

Post by cadman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:09 am

Go to your local airport and buy aviation gas - no ethanol. Add a bit of Stabil for good measure.

stonelyon49
honda305.com Member

Post by stonelyon49 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:24 am

For what its worth, leaving any gas, even treated with Stabil, is not something I like to do with my 1966 CA77 (although it is what I do with my newer bike). I run the bike with the petcock off until the carb float bowl is empty, drain the tank and any remaining gas in the carb bowl, disconnect and drain the crossover hose and coat the inside of the tank with light oil to inhibit rust.

I used to remove the tank and bring it in the house for the winter but last year I just left it on the bike in the garage and it was fine. My garage is not heated like yours but is attached to the house and the temperature seldom goes below 40 degrees.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Hamamatsu Nippon
honda305.com Member

Post by Hamamatsu Nippon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:39 pm

Once you winterize your bike, it's best to not start it until you plan to use it in the spring.
1967 CA78
1965 CM90

The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred.
Soichiro Honda

DJM
honda305.com Member

Winterizing the bike - fuel problems

Post by DJM » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:36 pm

For what it's worth, I use a thing called a fuel diamond in both my CB77 and the CL I restored nine years ago.

They are available on line but I bought mine at a bike show, simply drops into the fuel tank and that's it.

Supposedly stops the fuel going stale and other related fuel problems.

All I can say is that after seven or eight winters the carbs are still fine, I've never touched them since I built the bike, I don't drain the carbs or the tank, neither do I make a point of totally filling the tank, just park it up after my last ride of the year although sometimes I do ride the CL a bit through the winter.

Come the spring, turn on the fuel and off we go, if not first kick then certainly second or third.

My garage isn't really heated but is under the house so doesn't suffer from extremes of temperature.

There is an improved version available now which offers all the benefits of the original as well as boosting the octane rating somewhat too.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home