Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

percocet not flowing fuel to both outlets

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
earlee
honda305.com Member

percocet not flowing fuel to both outlets

Post by earlee » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:59 pm

When petcock is turned on it will only flow fuel from right outlet. I can block flow on right and left outlet will start to flow. I can go back and forth with this forever i guess. Never will both flow at same time. 1966 cl77. Fuel cap on or off does not change condition. I have rebuilt petcock and it is very clean as is the fuel tank. Any help greatly appreciated. I am new here still trying to figure out how everything works on this site.

pemdoc65
honda305.com Member

Post by pemdoc65 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:45 am

I have to say that you have the most interesting title to your post. Your bike may be a bit sluggish running on percocet.

Does the bike run? If you have flow from each outlet, maybe it will pull fuel from both when the engine turns over. If you try clear fuel lines, you can tell if you are flowing to both sides when cranking.

AlanW
honda305.com Member

Post by AlanW » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:41 am

Nothing to worry about, the fuel is finding the path of least resistance. When one float bowl fills the other one will then fill. Here's what I would do, drain the carb bowls, refit, turn fuel on- wait a few minutes then check both bowls for fuel.
Al.

earlee
honda305.com Member

Post by earlee » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:21 am

Thanks for reply’s. Bike does run but i keep losing left cylinder. When i pull bowls the left one will be about half full. I don’t know how i ended up with percocet in my subject line. My own stupidity i guess.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Fuel flow problems.

Post by DJM » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:41 am

I've heard of this before and in fact have experienced it myself with my own CL77

I have a not very technical solution which seems to work OK.

Firstly make sure that you have plenty of fuel in the tank and it isn't close to the reserve level.

Turn on the fuel and wait a short time.

Take a deep breath and BLOW into the fuel tank to pressurise it somewhat.

In my experience this is enough to clear out any air from the fuel lines and establish the fuel flow and you will have no more problems, if you let the fuel level drop and need to switch over to the reserve position you may need to repeat the process.

When I mentioned this to my brother in law he recalled doing the same back in the 1960s with his CB77 and I've heard of others experiencing the same trouble.

Try it and let us all know if it works!

If you still have problems, dropping onto one cylinder is often a symptom of a low battery.

earlee
honda305.com Member

Post by earlee » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:41 am

Thanks DJM, i’ll give it a blow i guess. I haven’t been putting much fuel in tank in case i need to drain and remove. May be my problem.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Fuel flow problems.

Post by DJM » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Certainly wouldn't help.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home