Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Dripping Petcock

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
DJM
honda305.com Member

Leaking fuel tap.

Post by DJM » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Reading the post I assume the problem is that fuel is leaking through the tap when it is turned OFF?

If it is only leaking from the pipe connections (nipples) then the fault is in the tap itself.

Ass you have replaced the rubber washer I would suspect corrosion on either the flat surface of the tap lever or the seal seating inside the body of the tap. Both of these need to be in good condition and flat if the washer is to seal successfully and the tap is to work properly.

As far as the screws holding the tap onto the tank, I'm pretty sure mine has ordinary spring washers and NOT rubber sealing washers. Any fuel that seeps down the screw threads will simply go into the filter bowl and stay there if the tap is working as it should so the screws don't need to make a seal.

If you have a leak between the tank itself and the tap body you may need to replace the O ring. I've seen two versions of this, both in sealed Honda packages, one a conventional 'O' ring with a circular cross section, the other a square section seal. I think the latter is the 'correct' one, anyone else care to comment?
a

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: Leaking fuel tap.

Post by G-Man » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:37 pm

DJM

I've taken a few Dream taps apart and I'm pretty sure you are correct about the square section O-ring. The mounting screws I have seen have had red fibre washers.

G

DJM wrote:Reading the post I assume the problem is that fuel is leaking through the tap when it is turned OFF?

If it is only leaking from the pipe connections (nipples) then the fault is in the tap itself.

Ass you have replaced the rubber washer I would suspect corrosion on either the flat surface of the tap lever or the seal seating inside the body of the tap. Both of these need to be in good condition and flat if the washer is to seal successfully and the tap is to work properly.

As far as the screws holding the tap onto the tank, I'm pretty sure mine has ordinary spring washers and NOT rubber sealing washers. Any fuel that seeps down the screw threads will simply go into the filter bowl and stay there if the tap is working as it should so the screws don't need to make a seal.

If you have a leak between the tank itself and the tap body you may need to replace the O ring. I've seen two versions of this, both in sealed Honda packages, one a conventional 'O' ring with a circular cross section, the other a square section seal. I think the latter is the 'correct' one, anyone else care to comment?
a
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

mike in idaho
honda305.com Member

Re: Leaking fuel tap.

Post by mike in idaho » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:12 pm

DJM wrote:Reading the post I assume the problem is that fuel is leaking through the tap when it is turned OFF?

a
Without sealing washers, gas will still leak out. Gas leaking past the threads will BYPASS the valve entirely and go straight to the sediment bowl, dripping out the hose nipples. Trust Me on this, I wasted several hours(and several parts) once trying to fix a petcock valve that had absolutley nothing wrong with it. A 6mm.(or 1/4 inch) fiber or copper washer from the hardware store will take care of things nicely.
'65 YG1
'65 CB160
'66 CL160
'66 CL77
'78 XS650
'79 GL1000
'69 T100R
'68 TR6
'69 T120
'72 750 Commando
my company car is a Kenworth

DJM
honda305.com Member

Leaking Gas tap

Post by DJM » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:59 am

Apologies all round if I've got that one wrong. I clearly need to take a look at my tap to re-acquaint myself with the fuel flow through it. I'd assumed that fuel went into the sediment bowl before passing through the top to the outlet connections, perhaps not!

Sorry if I confused anybody, need to check more carefully next time.

I still don't think my CL77 has rubber or fibre washers on the tank screws, however it is nine years since I put it together and I'm not about to take the tap off again to find out!

Mrburnn
honda305.com Member

Post by Mrburnn » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:38 am

Sorry for the delay in posting, thanks for all the comments! I'm tying to understand how washers at the screw heads will make a difference. Gas seeping around the screw threads will pool in the upper chamber and pass through the hole in the center of the petcock down into the bowl. Is this not correct? If so, washers under the screw heads would be of little value. I tried to attach a picture but the site will not accept it (again).

Thanks, as always!
Mrburnn

DJM
honda305.com Member

Fuel tap leakage.

Post by DJM » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:54 am

Yes, that's what I thought!
DJM

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:20 am

Sorry, got to disagree, you definitely need the fibre washers under the screw heads.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home