Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA77 carb slide sticking

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
bodie1204
honda305.com Member

CA77 carb slide sticking

Post by bodie1204 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:49 pm

I was having a problem with my slide sticking, so I disassembled my carb and got her clean as a whistle. My slide is still sticking, and if course throttle open :). I was thinking it was just build up but I am not sure what my options are now? Is there a carb that will work as a direct replacement? Is there a way for me to file down the slide so it won’t get stuck in the body? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

G3
honda305.com Member

Carb slide sticking

Post by G3 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:11 am

Bodie,

What I have done in be past on my CL is lightly sand the culprit aluminum carb slide sleeve with a super fine sand paper and a light oil to capture any material. But I also have done these things listed in the past when the sticking slide visited me;
1) Check the Slide for nicks on the top edge, face or at the skirt.
2) Throttle cable routing especially at the carb top.
3) If the two nuts that hold the carb to the cylinder are too tight, it can cause a slide to hang up, so maybe back off just a bit on those nuts and see if this helps.
4) Age will show (at least on both of my carbs) the chrome worn off of the brass slide, at least it looks like brass, but either way, you’ll have two different metals gliding on the aluminum carb slide sleeve. I also have lightly sanded the slides.
5) Last I would double check the slide return spring for proper seating, or maybe it’s weak.

bodie1204
honda305.com Member

Re: Carb slide sticking

Post by bodie1204 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:43 am

Great info! I will run down this checklist and see if that helps.
G3 wrote:Bodie,

What I have done in be past on my CL is lightly sand the culprit aluminum carb slide sleeve with a super fine sand paper and a light oil to capture any material. But I also have done these things listed in the past when the sticking slide visited me;
1) Check the Slide for nicks on the top edge, face or at the skirt.
2) Throttle cable routing especially at the carb top.
3) If the two nuts that hold the carb to the cylinder are too tight, it can cause a slide to hang up, so maybe back off just a bit on those nuts and see if this helps.
4) Age will show (at least on both of my carbs) the chrome worn off of the brass slide, at least it looks like brass, but either way, you’ll have two different metals gliding on the aluminum carb slide sleeve. I also have lightly sanded the slides.
5) Last I would double check the slide return spring for proper seating, or maybe it’s weak.

danielzink
honda305.com Member

Post by danielzink » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:14 am

Are you sure it's the slide in the carb - and not the handlebar slide ?

I had fits trying to get my throttle to work smoothly...I finally figured out it was the handlebar throttle slide that was all gummed up.

Try unhooking the throttle cable and see if just pulling on the bare cable and letting go that the carb is working smoothly ?

Dan

bodie1204
honda305.com Member

Post by bodie1204 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:23 pm

I believe it’s the actual slide but I don’t think hat test could hurt will do that as well next time I wrench and report
danielzink wrote:Are you sure it's the slide in the carb - and not the handlebar slide ?

I had fits trying to get my throttle to work smoothly...I finally figured out it was the handlebar throttle slide that was all gummed up.

Try unhooking the throttle cable and see if just pulling on the bare cable and letting go that the carb is working smoothly ?

Dan

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home