Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Starts at extreme RPMs

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
Dit
honda305.com Member

Starts at extreme RPMs

Post by Dit » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:49 pm

1965 CA77 carb slide was stuck (gunked up). Throttle wouldn't budge.

I thoroughly cleaned carb and slide working perfectly dry bench assembly with no throttle cable installed. Mounted and installed throttle cable and now starts at max RPM. Throttle cable is fine. Is the needle possibly hanging up (not seating in hole) causing full throttle?

I only snugged the carb mount nuts plus 1/4 turn. Since I've already goosed the throttle I can't tell if the slide is hung up due to the needle without disassembling again.

I am also blowing main fuse after the high RPM start after several seconds. I have Charlies rectifier. Will the fuse blow if the volts increase due to high RPM? Don't know if the two issues are related. I have checked the wiring and harness and see no issues other than a blown bulb behind the headlight in the wiring harness recess atop the fork. I can't see where the bulb would mount as it's not Headlight, Speedo or neutral light related. Is there an unmounted floating bulb to light the Head lamp recess?

Any help is appreciated.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Starts at extreme RPMs

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:10 am

Where are you located?
Look into the intake of the carb to see the slide.
It should be bottomed out.
Things to do-
Bottomed out slide
Slide has angle cut toward intake
Slide screw is turned out to allow slide to bottom
Cable at top of carb is in hole at top and not caught at the side of the hole
!/4 inch cable slack at throttle on handlebar. ..................lm

Dit wrote:1965 CA77 carb slide was stuck (gunked up). Throttle wouldn't budge.

I thoroughly cleaned carb and slide working perfectly dry bench assembly with no throttle cable installed. Mounted and installed throttle cable and now starts at max RPM. Throttle cable is fine. Is the needle possibly hanging up (not seating in hole) causing full throttle?

I only snugged the carb mount nuts plus 1/4 turn. Since I've already goosed the throttle I can't tell if the slide is hung up due to the needle without disassembling again.

I am also blowing main fuse after the high RPM start after several seconds. I have Charlies rectifier. Will the fuse blow if the volts increase due to high RPM? Don't know if the two issues are related. I have checked the wiring and harness and see no issues other than a blown bulb behind the headlight in the wiring harness recess atop the fork. I can't see where the bulb would mount as it's not Headlight, Speedo or neutral light related. Is there an unmounted floating bulb to light the Head lamp recess?

Any help is appreciated.

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:14 pm

Dit wrote:I am also blowing main fuse after the high RPM start after several seconds. I have Charlies rectifier. Will the fuse blow if the volts increase due to high RPM? Don't know if the two issues are related. I have checked the wiring and harness and see no issues other than a blown bulb behind the headlight in the wiring harness recess atop the fork. I can't see where the bulb would mount as it's not Headlight, Speedo or neutral light related. Is there an unmounted floating bulb to light the Head lamp recess?

Any help is appreciated.
It sounds like your battery is either nonexistent or well past its prime. These charging systems are unregulated. There is no voltage regulator so the voltage from the magneto will vary wildly with engine speed -- wildly enough to burn out light bulbs. It is the battery which dampens the high voltage by accepting the voltage as needed thereby protecting the rest of the system. It's hard on the battery but the system works more or less.

The rectifier merely converts the AC from the magneto to DC but provides no regulation on its own. The fuse can blow if the high current through the system caused by the high voltage gets high enough but it's unlikely. Its job is to prevent the wiring harness from smoking if there is a short in it or in something connected to it. Is the fuse correct? If so you might want to have a close look at the wiring both visually and with a multi-meter, especially if you battery is in good shape.

Good luck. I'll leave the rest to NOISY RODENT.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:14 pm

What ya offer is fact.
Around 1964 I went to a local pub and left at closing at 2:00am.
Got on my 1963 CL72 and headed home.
As I entered the freeway and shifted to 3rd gear (missed it and OVER REVED the engine) and saw what I thought was a Flash Bulb go off.
I suddenly found All my Lights were GONE!
Blew every bulb that was on!
BTW the battery was good. ...............lm

Tim Allman wrote:
Dit wrote:I am also blowing main fuse after the high RPM start after several seconds. I have Charlies rectifier. Will the fuse blow if the volts increase due to high RPM? Don't know if the two issues are related. I have checked the wiring and harness and see no issues other than a blown bulb behind the headlight in the wiring harness recess atop the fork. I can't see where the bulb would mount as it's not Headlight, Speedo or neutral light related. Is there an unmounted floating bulb to light the Head lamp recess?

Any help is appreciated.
It sounds like your battery is either nonexistent or well past its prime. These charging systems are unregulated. There is no voltage regulator so the voltage from the magneto will vary wildly with engine speed -- wildly enough to burn out light bulbs. It is the battery which dampens the high voltage by accepting the voltage as needed thereby protecting the rest of the system. It's hard on the battery but the system works more or less.

The rectifier merely converts the AC from the magneto to DC but provides no regulation on its own. The fuse can blow if the high current through the system caused by the high voltage gets high enough but it's unlikely. Its job is to prevent the wiring harness from smoking if there is a short in it or in something connected to it. Is the fuse correct? If so you might want to have a close look at the wiring both visually and with a multi-meter, especially if you battery is in good shape.

Good luck. I'll leave the rest to NOISY RODENT.

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:45 am

I noticed you said the carb nuts were snugged up, it was pointed out to me when I was building mine that it's easy to distort the carb body. They were quite right, as I tightened the nuts the throttle action became heavier until it would not budge. As I slackened the nuts the slide released, it seemed far too little torque to provide a good seal but continues to function perfectly 18 months on.

mike1969
honda305.com Member

idle

Post by mike1969 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:52 am

Your carb slide could be 180 deg. out. Had the same thing happen on my Dream.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home