Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Carb slide question

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
jkjoller
honda305.com Member

Carb slide question

Post by jkjoller » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:29 pm

Hey All- Working on an "early" 305 Dream. I've rebuilt the carb but notice the slide sticks. For example, if I turn the carb upside down, the slide won't slide out on its own. It's slides slightly but then stops. I've cleaned it very well and felt around for any burrs, etc. Feels really smooth on both the carb and the slide. Would this cause an issue with the motor running? Motor starts up with high rev and then dies... and then won't start again.
And if so, how do I fix? Could the "tube" be slightly warped (just enough that I can't visually tell)?

NOTE, carb is off the bike. so cable and spring are not causing the problem.

Thanks, Jeff

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:41 pm

The body of the carb is surprisingly easily distorted by over tightening the flange. This might also contribute to the fast start and then dying or possibly, float level or lack of fuel flow from the tap.

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:42 pm

The body of the carb is surprisingly easily distorted by over tightening the flange. This might also contribute to the fast start and then dying or possibly, float level or lack of fuel flow from the tap.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home