Admirers

Carburetor Top

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Carburetor Top

Post by deuce_7 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:59 am

1967 CL77

The large threaded rings on top of CL77's two carburetors have a tendency to loosen and even back off completely after a longer ride.

Have thought about Loctite. Any other remedies other than checking/tightening the tops before each ride?

DJM
honda305.com Member

Carb rings.

Post by DJM » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:36 pm

Never heard of this being a problem before and most Hondas are built the same way.

Certainly never been an issue with either of my two bikes, a CB77 and a CL77.

Are you sure the rubbers that fit under the top caps are in place and in good condition?

I suppose if the rubbers have gone really hard they wouldn't provide any compression when you tighten the top rings which COULD then work loose.

Might be worth trying new rubbers, I believe pattern replacements are available.

If you do go down the Loctite route use the 'weakest' grade you can find and then sparingly, you will ant them to come off again!

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Post by deuce_7 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:25 pm

Will take a closer look at the carburetor top gaskets. Don’t think they’ve ever been changed. Gasket part number for both Right and Left is 16171-275-004. Looks like they’re available from various sources.

Thanks,

DJM
honda305.com Member

Carb tops

Post by DJM » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:25 am

Be sure to let us all know the results, that way we all learn something.

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Re: Carb rings.

Post by deuce_7 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:12 pm

DJM wrote:Are you sure the rubbers that fit under the top caps are in place and in good condition?

I suppose if the rubbers have gone really hard they wouldn't provide any compression when you tighten the top rings which COULD then work loose.

Might be worth trying new rubbers, I believe pattern replacements are available.
DJM, looks like your diagnosis is correct. Replaced the two carburetor top gaskets with reproductions from Ohio Cycle. These gaskets were much more substantial (rubber-fiber composition) that the stamped out neoprene versions included in carb rebuild kits. The gaskets removed were brittle and I could easily see they weren't providing much of a seal.

Took the CL77 for a 40 mile ride today at 50-60 mph and no signs of the tops loosening.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home