Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Angle of the daggle

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
gbc
honda305.com Member

Angle of the daggle

Post by gbc » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:23 pm

Does anyone know the correct angle for the carb spigots on a 67 CL77. Looking at the parts fisch they appear on a downward angle and a quick search here didn't reveal any specifics. I am doing a second petcock and carb rebuild to try and correct a fuel starvation issue. Thanks in advance for any input.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Angle of the daggle

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:06 pm

I set mine at 45 degrees from horizontal "back/down". ..................lm

gbc wrote:Does anyone know the correct angle for the carb spigots on a 67 CL77. Looking at the parts fisch they appear on a downward angle and a quick search here didn't reveal any specifics. I am doing a second petcock and carb rebuild to try and correct a fuel starvation issue. Thanks in advance for any input.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Fuel starvation

Post by DJM » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:43 pm

If you cut the fuel hoses to the lengths specified in the parts book there isn't much latitude about the angle of the fuel unions.

I had the same problem when I first rebuilt by CL77 about ten years ago, the fuel seeming very reluctant to flow from the tank to the carbs.

It was with a newly restored bike and I hadn't put a lot of fuel in the tank which I suppose, with hindsight, didn't help. While out on a run I was left with a dead engine after switching over to reserve.

In the end I took a big breath and blew into the fuel tank pressurising the tank, lo and behold the fuel ran out of the (open) carb drain screws immediately. Bike then started up first kick

I had a CB77 way back in the sixties and never had this problem but found out later that it isn't unheard of and others have solved it the same way.

Provided that you don't let the fuel level drop too low you should only need to do this once to 'fill' the fuel lines between the tank and the carbs.

It worked for me so it's definitely worth a try.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home