Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Crossover Tube Blockage

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
ZillahBill
honda305.com Member

Crossover Tube Blockage

Post by ZillahBill » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:57 pm

I have been slowly cleaning the fuel tank on the 1965 Superhawk I have been refurbishing. I have thrown everything at this thing and I think I have got it to the point where I can use it. I have read so many nightmare stories about fuel tank liners that I have decided to pass on that. I know that use of a crossover tube was deleted on late models. When cleaning the crossover tube outlet I ran into blockage about 1/2" into the tube. It feels like solder or brazing. I have not been real aggressive with it because I wanted to ask the forum if it may have come from the factory like this? Thanks in advance. Bill

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Re: Crossover Tube Blockage

Post by deuce_7 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:59 am

ZillahBill wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:57 pm
... I know that use of a crossover tube was deleted on late models. When cleaning the crossover tube outlet I ran into blockage about 1/2" into the tube. It feels like solder or brazing. I have not been real aggressive with it because I wanted to ask the forum if it may have come from the factory like this? Thanks in advance. Bill
If no fuel at all passes through the tank crossover tube outlet, the blockage may have been intentional.

Check your CB77 petcock. Early CB72s and CB77s had a third nipple on the petcock for a crossover line from the tank. If there is no third nipple on the petcock, the bike was likely last running with the crossover tube blocked off. If the petcock has a third nipple, the bike was probably last running with a working crossover tube. (Early/Late CL77s had the same design characteristics).
1967 CL77 305 Scrambler

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home