Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Broken Float Tang

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
ZillahBill
honda305.com Member

Broken Float Tang

Post by ZillahBill » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:32 pm

I was putting in a carb kit and I broke a tang on the float pin attachment. I'm sick about it. Have any of you had to deal with this? Does anybody have a right side carb body for a 65 CB77 they will sell? Is there a good fix for this? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill
Attachments
Broken Float Tang.jpg

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Re: Broken Float Tang

Post by Michael Stoic » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:22 pm

This is probably best replaced with another carb.

Fixing would be my first inclination too, but I just don't see how this tiny piece of corroded aluminum can be fixed practically and reliably.

--
Michael

djohns
honda305.com Member

Post by djohns » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:55 pm

I had the same problem. Bike sat for years and the pewter corroded around brass pin. I clamped body in drill press and drilled small hole down onto the “pillar” same for the broken piece. Be careful as the pewter grabs. Wouldn’t dare try it with a hand held drill motor. Make it big enough dia. To be sloppy and insert a piece of music wire. Rough the wire up and clean all pieces with solvent. Use JB Weld filling voids, insert float pin to align and level. Very little weight or stress in that piece. Just make sure all are in alignment, no going back! JB Weld will withstand the gas and yuk alcohol.

flathead
honda305.com Member

Post by flathead » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:01 am

I fixed one like that for a CT200, pushrod trail 90.
I tig welded and built up the end of the post, filed back to shape, and redrilled passing the drill through the opposite side to line thing up.
Ct200 carbs are hard to come by. CB and CL77 carbs are fairly easy to find, providing the seller isn't greedy. If you still need one PM and send you one. I've probably got 25 or so laying around.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home