Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Throttle Cable Too Short

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
ZillahBill
honda305.com Member

Throttle Cable Too Short

Post by ZillahBill » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:08 pm

I can get the throttle cable on at both the carb and throttle grip but I'm not sure it is allowing the slides to bottom out. There is no freeplay. I think I need to get another 1/4 inch of cable inside the carb body. Is there something I can trim to get that extra length? I wanted to poll the forum before I start dreaming up ways to get the 1/4 inch. Maybe I should just buy another cable and hope for a better result.

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Re: Throttle Cable Too Short

Post by deuce_7 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:49 am

To verify:

1) Adjustable metal elbow with threaded adjuster that throttle cable runs through from RH throttle winder housing. Adjust for 1/8" slack in throttle grip. The carburetor slides should each bottom.

2) Throttle cable routing. Cable passes above/behind RH fork cover, behind headlight in downward loop, behind LH fork, loops back along left side of tank above the tank/frame mount, follows the frame spine aft, and after cable splitter drops into each RH and LH carburetor. Ensure the cable ends drop all the way into the threaded adjuster seat atop each carb (cable slack can also be adjusted here for fine tuning the slide drop).

3) Lubricated cables.

4) Each carb slide should drop and bottom with a discernible "click" when twist throttle is released.
1967 CL77 305 Scrambler

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Re: Throttle Cable Too Short

Post by Tim Allman » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:42 pm

Is this perhaps a cable with the length suitable for the earlier flat handlebar on a bike with the later midrise handlebar that requires longer cables?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home