Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

eBay shocks CL77

Bee
honda305.com Member

eBay shocks CL77

Post by Bee » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:20 pm

The existing shocks on my CL77 are not original and I really have no interest in rebuilding them. I see quite a few on eBay that claim to be replacements for a CL77. These shocks all seem to be of the most generic possible description and leave me to assume they are of the most generic build and eventual use whether you weight 150 or 250 pounds. Does anyone have any experience with these shocks or can perhaps point towards the better choice?

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Re: eBay shocks CL77

Post by Tim Allman » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:51 pm

I have some experience and it's all bad. Someone is making some cheap units that are not even fit for purpose. They are being sold for various prices, usually between ~80 USD and 150USD, mostly from Thailand. Here is a typical set. Shocks are hard to find at any price so out of desperation I bought a pair for my CB77 (The ones sold for CL77s are the same.) but found that fitting them would require significant modification.

The 'eye' (the top fixture) was too narrow and required a stack of washers. The clevis should be made to take a 10mm bolt but it is made for an 8mm bolt. As well, the clevis was too wide and required another stack of washers. I can only guess at how long the 8mm bolt would last and what the consequences of failure would be. Also, I think it unlikely that the damping mechanism would be satisfactory.

I tried to return them and after some correspondence got the authorisation from the vendor and Ebay. I mailed them off to Thailand but a month later they appeared at my door. I never did get my refund although I noticed that the vendor no longer ships to Canada but sadly, there are many other vendors.

The easy way to spot these shocks is to note the way the clevis is welded onto a short stalk unlike the real ones.

Stay away from these.

Bee
honda305.com Member

Post by Bee » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:20 pm

Thanks Tim that was my suspicion. You just saved me a lot of money and frustration.

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:04 am

Thanks. I have a pair that you can have for the cost of shipping. ;-)

I finally settled on a pair of Hagon shocks. They are expensive but are generally thought of as high quality but I'll be able to tell more when spring happens. They fit properly and easily. They even look like they were made for the bike.

They're made in the UK and ship world wide. I found a dealer in Nova Scotia but there must be others.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home