Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1967 CL77 Front Fork Disassmbly Guide

coydogsf
honda305.com Member

Re: fork pistons

Post by coydogsf » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:38 pm

nrpolo wrote:I am rebuilding my front forks, 67 cl77 and am having trouble getting off the fork pistons. This writeup says to slide the pistons off after removing the retaining ring. Mine seem quite stuck. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
I've got the same issue. Can someone just quickly confirm that, assuming that the bottom circlip has been removed, these pistons at the bottom *should* slide off? There are no holes in the sides with little plugs like I've seen on another post. Just a smooth sided piston. They do not have the two rings in the sides that I see in my exploded view in the manual. Full disclosure, the "fork oil" had the consistency and color of watered down chocolate milk when I drained it. I've been spraying with PB Blaster this afternoon and hoping for some movement with a mallet and wood block. Am I missing a step?

Thanks in advance!
Dave

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: fork pistons

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:52 am

Yes.
Those parts are designed to come OFF THE END of the tube.
Yours probably still had the FISH OIL it was issued.
You may want to heat the parts a bit then use brass rod to tap them off. .............lm

coydogsf wrote:
nrpolo wrote:I am rebuilding my front forks, 67 cl77 and am having trouble getting off the fork pistons. This writeup says to slide the pistons off after removing the retaining ring. Mine seem quite stuck. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
I've got the same issue. Can someone just quickly confirm that, assuming that the bottom circlip has been removed, these pistons at the bottom *should* slide off? There are no holes in the sides with little plugs like I've seen on another post. Just a smooth sided piston. They do not have the two rings in the sides that I see in my exploded view in the manual. Full disclosure, the "fork oil" had the consistency and color of watered down chocolate milk when I drained it. I've been spraying with PB Blaster this afternoon and hoping for some movement with a mallet and wood block. Am I missing a step?

Thanks in advance!
Dave

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home