Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Question about CB77 reproduction shocks from 4into1

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:37 am

Hi Jambbretta
Here is a pic of the 4into1 shocks. I haven't finished the bike yet. It's being held up by a few pieces that I'm waiting for from Thailand. They were all chrome but I painted the cover. I haven't compared them side by side with the originals but I believe the covers are a little shorter on these.
ImageKIMG1070 by Steve Steverinomeister, on Flickr
I will post my opinion on their ride quality as soon as I take it for a ride.
Steve

SMBH
honda305.com Member

Post by SMBH » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:09 pm

For what it's worth I have a pair of Hagons fitted and they are the correct length they come with polished stainless steel covers black tops and polished bottoms the ride for me is just right.

The original Honda shocks were like knicker elastic in my opinion using the bike for what it was intended for that is fast road work the original shock were a danger hit a bump and you could yo yo along the Japs in the early days had a lot to lean about dampers and tyres.

Back in the early 60's all my mates and myself on CB72/77 dumped the original and replaced them with Girling shocks (Hagon bought out Girling) also it was Avon tyres you then had a bike that could stay with all but the best on the road well at least here in the UK.

I was there in the early 60's and what a great time it was, now if one rides a CB72/77 you could get blown off by a plastic bloody scooter with a shopping bag on the front.

jambretta
honda305.com Member

Post by jambretta » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:23 pm

SMBH-

Thanks for the feedback on the Hagons. Their basic slimline cost only a little more than the 4into1, and ill probably go with Hagon. So with all your half century of superhawk experience, what is your opinion on improving the forks at a reasonable cost? Sorry to hijack the thread.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:34 am

The Hagons look the part and work well. In the 70s and 80s I used to put Koni (no Ikon) dial a ride rear shocks on all my bikes. They had variable rate springs and adjustable damping. Great for touring with passenger and panniers......

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

SMBH
honda305.com Member

Post by SMBH » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:14 am

jambretta wrote:SMBH-

Thanks for the feedback on the Hagons. Their basic slimline cost only a little more than the 4into1, and ill probably go with Hagon. So with all your half century of superhawk experience, what is your opinion on improving the forks at a reasonable cost? Sorry to hijack the thread.
It has been some 55 years on so many different bikes one of the best handling in my early days was a Ariel Arrow sports the brits made good handling bikes.
Apart from Triumph most engines lacked stamina one of the best reving engines I had was a Norton Navigator on a motorway it would keep up with my mates CB72 and it had roadholder front forks. So so many must put it down on paper some day.
Back to the Honda front forks I have always found them ok just put some SAE 20 fork oil in NOT ENGINE OIL you can experiment with different wight oils you know back in the 60's Honda was noted for putting a very light oil in them (fish oil I think) also they had very little grease in the steering head bearings tapper roller would be nice in there instead of the push bike bearing most manufactures fitted yep it was a throw back from the bicycle eara.

jambretta
honda305.com Member

Post by jambretta » Thu May 19, 2016 12:48 pm

I just purchased some Hagon Road Classic I slim shocks. I'm concerned that they will not clear the chainguard. Also, the clevis is 2mm wider than stock, so I will need a spacer and a longer mounting bolt. The top mount seems to be a near-perfect match. Length is 5mm short, but seems fine.

The biggest concern is the diameter of the lower shock body hitting the chainguard. The diameter gets even bigger when the pre-load adjusting ring comes in to play (2 inches above the center of the clevis eye).

Has anyone had chainguard interference issues? What is the size of replacement bolt I need for the bottom mount?

I don't want to try and mount them, making them non-returnable, until I know they will fit. Holding them up to the bike isn't very precise.

ImageWP_20160513_10_23_39_Pro by Pelayo, on Flickr

ImageWP_20160513_10_33_09_Pro by Pelayo, on Flickr

ImageWP_20160513_10_28_22_Pro by Pelayo, on Flickr

ImageWP_20160513_10_23_17_Pro by Pelayo, on Flickr

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Thu May 19, 2016 1:13 pm

I've used the Hagon 31011 and 31028 (enclosed spring vs. exposed) on CB77's. Length and clevis inside width are standard. The spring preload adjustors clear both stock Honda and the 1990's UK repro chainguards. Standard lower bolts were used, but due to the thicker clevis material, they were installed from the outside, with a flat washer and lockwasher under the hex. This puts the end of the bolt flush with the inboard edge of the clevis, no jam nuts were used. This will clear the standard 530 chain. Regards, Chase

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home