Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Honda305 Gearset Mufflers

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Honda305 Gearset Mufflers

Post by Seadog » Tue May 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Has anyone had any experience with CB77 mufflers the company Honda305 Gearset in the UK ( http://www.honda305gearset.co.uk/honda- ... 7-exhausts )? They appear to be a seamless version of the HM muffler using a modified baffle. No price is listed on the website, but I've sent them a message asking for a quote.

Anyone have any experience with these folks? I know some of you are using their 5 speed gear sets.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: Honda305 Gearset Mufflers

Post by G-Man » Wed May 25, 2016 9:07 am

Seadog

I have dealt with Gerry Cain and he is a sincere and dedicated individual. I have not purchased the mufflers but he told me of his intentions to make a similar but better part.

G

Seadog wrote:Has anyone had any experience with CB77 mufflers the company Honda305 Gearset in the UK ( http://www.honda305gearset.co.uk/honda- ... 7-exhausts )? They appear to be a seamless version of the HM muffler using a modified baffle. No price is listed on the website, but I've sent them a message asking for a quote.

Anyone have any experience with these folks? I know some of you are using their 5 speed gear sets.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed May 25, 2016 9:33 am

Thank you, G, good to hear. I did get an email back from Mr. Cain, but he said he'd get back to me soon. The website photos of his product look very good.
G-Man wrote:Seadog

I have dealt with Gerry Cain and he is a sincere and dedicated individual. I have not purchased the mufflers but he told me of his intentions to make a similar but better part.

G

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed May 25, 2016 11:02 am

Am I missing the bottom area of the L/S muffler where HONDA built in a recessed area for the MAIN STAND to fit up into so it wouldn't drag in a hard left turn. ...............lm

Seadog wrote:Thank you, G, good to hear. I did get an email back from Mr. Cain, but he said he'd get back to me soon. The website photos of his product look very good.
G-Man wrote:Seadog

G

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed May 25, 2016 11:09 am

Good catch, LM! I hadn't thought of that. On the page with the black SH, in the lower right photo there appears to be something like an indent in that area. I can't be sure though, even after blowing up the photo. It's something I'll have to ask about. I'll ask for closeup photos, if they're available.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Am I missing the bottom area of the L/S muffler where HONDA built in a recessed area for the MAIN STAND to fit up into so it wouldn't drag in a hard left turn. ...............lm

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed May 25, 2016 11:14 am

I hope it's there!. ...............lm

Seadog wrote:Good catch, LM! I hadn't thought of that. On the page with the black SH, in the lower right photo there appears to be something like an indent in that area. I can't be sure though, even after blowing up the photo. It's something I'll have to ask about. I'll ask for closeup photos, if they're available.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Am I missing the bottom area of the L/S muffler where HONDA built in a recessed area for the MAIN STAND to fit up into so it wouldn't drag in a hard left turn. ...............lm

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:21 am

As an update to this thread and to definitively answer LM's question, there is, indeed, a recess in the L/S muffler for the main stand. In our email correspondence, I found Mr. Cain a very nice fellow who is quite chatty and knowledgable. He is, however, reluctant to sell me his mufflers because I told him of my problems fitting those I bought from DS Spares and returned. He feels that, quality issues aside, the DSS mufflers had very generous mounting holes and might just have needed adjustment to fit. He felt that it was possible that my rear-most mounts might have been bent in the past. I don't necessary disagree.

At this point, I'm undecided about where I'll go with this next.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home