Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Honda305 Gearset Mufflers

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:49 pm

ANy chance ya can call me on this?. ...........lm
Seadog wrote:Right now they're sitting on a shelf in my garage where they will collect dust and outlast all of us.
G-Man wrote:Seadog

They look rather nice and should outlast the bike and, perhaps you too!

G

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:54 pm

Yes, sir. May I call you on Wednesday? Is any particular time of day better for you?
LOUD MOUSE wrote:ANy chance ya can call me on this?. ...........lm

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:07 pm

Morning is usually the best. ....................lm

Seadog wrote:Yes, sir. May I call you on Wednesday? Is any particular time of day better for you?
LOUD MOUSE wrote:ANy chance ya can call me on this?. ...........lm

sjkowal
honda305.com Member

Post by sjkowal » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:01 am

I'm interested in these mufflers as well and was wondering if you think the problem with fit is due to the pipes or the muffler or even your cb77. Are you using original or aftermarket pipes to fit these mufflers? I noticed the pictures on Gearset's site only seem to show the mufflers fitted with aftermarket pipes.
Seadog wrote:Update: After ordering, I received the mufflers very quickly. They're truly beautiful and well made in stainless steel. They are smooth and have no seams. There are a few spots that, in the right light, a hint of the internal baffles can be seen in some places, but it did not detract from their looks.

The right side installed easily, although the pipe to muffler angle was a little bit off, pinching the upper part of the round rubber muffler seal just a bit. The left side was another matter. After working on it for 3 days, I just couldn't make it fit. The inlet end touched the bottom of the side cover and made it impossible to connect the manifold pipe to the engine case, even with up to 3 copper crush washers to lower it a bit. The connection angle was very bad. I also tried dressing the top of the muffler down a bit and it helped a little, but did not make a good muffler to pipe connection possible. I think that without new pipes that extend a bit lower, I'm out of luck. I might try a pair of the pipes from Thailand at some point, but after hearing of their poor fit and questionable quality in other threads, it's another gamble that I'm not ready to take just yet.

I'll report back if anything further develops.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:37 pm

Nice talking to you today LM!

sjkowel, I cannot answer your question with certainty. I'm thinking it's the pipes. I don't know whether mine are original or aftermarket. I am hoping to try others to see if I can make it work. I do know that the problem isn't the mounting brackets.

Gearset does make pipes, but told me that I'd probably have an easier time fitting them to Honda pipes.

Here's a photo of the left muffler. Do you see an outward bow on the right between the inlet and the mounting point?
Attachments
IMG_1538 3.JPG
IMG_1538 3.JPG (339.87 KiB) Viewed 2863 times

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:40 pm

I see a VERY SHALLOW indent near the second weld. ...............lm
Seadog wrote:Nice talking to you today LM!

sjkowel, I cannot answer your question with certainty. I'm thinking it's the pipes. I don't know whether mine are original or aftermarket. I am hoping to try others to see if I can make it work. I do know that the problem isn't the mounting brackets.

Gearset does make pipes, but told me that I'd probably have an easier time fitting them to Honda pipes.

Here's a photo of the left muffler. Do you see an outward bow on the right between the inlet and the mounting point?

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:08 pm

Although we just talked about this on the phone, I'm posting this marked-up photo to show others what I meant about a curve that I thought I saw on this muffler. Whether the bow is there or not, it definitely isn't as narrow at the inlet end as my old muffler.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:I see a VERY SHALLOW indent near the second weld. ...............lm
Attachments
IMG_1538 3.JPG
IMG_1538 3.JPG (348.55 KiB) Viewed 2836 times

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home