□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Honda305 Gearset Mufflers

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:38 am

Further update: I ordered a pair of these mufflers today. I'll report on their fit with pics when they arrive.

james robert
honda305.com Member

Post by james robert » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:42 pm

Good luck with the purchase Sea dog, I will be looking forward to your report on fit and finish and what they cost.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:25 am

Update: After ordering, I received the mufflers very quickly. They're truly beautiful and well made in stainless steel. They are smooth and have no seams. There are a few spots that, in the right light, a hint of the internal baffles can be seen in some places, but it did not detract from their looks.

The right side installed easily, although the pipe to muffler angle was a little bit off, pinching the upper part of the round rubber muffler seal just a bit. The left side was another matter. After working on it for 3 days, I just couldn't make it fit. The inlet end touched the bottom of the side cover and made it impossible to connect the manifold pipe to the engine case, even with up to 3 copper crush washers to lower it a bit. The connection angle was very bad. I also tried dressing the top of the muffler down a bit and it helped a little, but did not make a good muffler to pipe connection possible. I think that without new pipes that extend a bit lower, I'm out of luck. I might try a pair of the pipes from Thailand at some point, but after hearing of their poor fit and questionable quality in other threads, it's another gamble that I'm not ready to take just yet.

I'll report back if anything further develops.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:08 am

Seadog

I would love to see some pictures of the mufflers. As an aside, a friend and I are haveing some CB77 and CA77 header pipes made in stainless by a reputable British exaust manufacturer.

I am getting a set of both hopefully, to try out. If they work out we are hoping to get a quantity made.

Will keep you posted.

G
Seadog wrote:Update: After ordering, I received the mufflers very quickly. They're truly beautiful and well made in stainless steel. They are smooth and have no seams. There are a few spots that, in the right light, a hint of the internal baffles can be seen in some places, but it did not detract from their looks.

The right side installed easily, although the pipe to muffler angle was a little bit off, pinching the upper part of the round rubber muffler seal just a bit. The left side was another matter. After working on it for 3 days, I just couldn't make it fit. The inlet end touched the bottom of the side cover and made it impossible to connect the manifold pipe to the engine case, even with up to 3 copper crush washers to lower it a bit. The connection angle was very bad. I also tried dressing the top of the muffler down a bit and it helped a little, but did not make a good muffler to pipe connection possible. I think that without new pipes that extend a bit lower, I'm out of luck. I might try a pair of the pipes from Thailand at some point, but after hearing of their poor fit and questionable quality in other threads, it's another gamble that I'm not ready to take just yet.

I'll report back if anything further develops.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:24 am

I'd certainly be interested in the pipes for both the CA and CB when you work out the bugs.

Pics below.
G-Man wrote:Seadog

I would love to see some pictures of the mufflers. As an aside, a friend and I are haveing some CB77 and CA77 header pipes made in stainless by a reputable British exaust manufacturer.

I am getting a set of both hopefully, to try out. If they work out we are hoping to get a quantity made.

Will keep you posted.

G
Attachments
Muffler2.jpg
Muffler2.jpg (443.93 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
Muffler1.jpg
Muffler1.jpg (465.42 KiB) Viewed 2468 times

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:43 pm

Seadog

They look rather nice and should outlast the bike and, perhaps you too!

G
Seadog wrote:I'd certainly be interested in the pipes for both the CA and CB when you work out the bugs.

Pics below.

Will keep you posted.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:25 pm

Right now they're sitting on a shelf in my garage where they will collect dust and outlast all of us.

They look rather nice and should outlast the bike and, perhaps you too!

G

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home