□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CL77 Rear Shock Spring Retainer Failures

rrietman
honda305.com Member

Post by rrietman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:59 pm

Rob; I have found that these retainers are the same size on many different Honda models/years and some seem heavier than others. they all seem to be some sort of pot metal light alloy, but some are definetly heavier. maybe the manufacturer saw something and fixed it as years went on?
Thanks
Randy

pcmenten
honda305.com Member

Post by pcmenten » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:45 pm

It might be worth trying to do some failure analysis on that. Did the shock have its oil? Could that have been the result of the shock bottoming out against that retainer. Which side was that on, the chain side or the other side? Is the swingarm square with the frame? Can it twist? Are the bushes in the swingarm pivot in good order? Is the rod in the shock straight? Are the shock mounting points loose?

Kinda looks like it might be a fatigue failure leading to dynamic disassembly rather than a single impact event.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:11 am

Rob

Great piece of work! Haven't found any that need that but you've shown how to do it.

Interestingly the 1961 CB72 retainers are steel.

I wholeheartedly agree with your philosophy. It's not difficult to improve these parts. They were, of course, built to a price and have completed 50 years service in many cases.

As for the 'buyers' - they miss out on education and satisfaction....

G

Snakeoil wrote:Thanks again. These were really pretty simple to machine. I was a class A machinist in my youth befor moving on to engineering. So, I did stuff like this all day as a developmental machinist in an Atomic Power Lab. We did prototyping work for the US Navy. I realize for a hobby machinist this might be challenging, but it is quite simple if you take your time, study the example piece and measure everything twice.

I have friends that bust my chops because I make this stuff rather than just buy a new part. My answer to that is "Where is the fun in that?".

I like to share this stuff because it may help the next guy solve a similar problem.

regards,
Rob
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home