Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB77 Front Brake Rod Adjustment function

akpasta
honda305.com Member

CB77 Front Brake Rod Adjustment function

Post by akpasta » Mon May 01, 2017 10:53 am

Hi Folks,

I've got a 1964 CB77 and I'm trying to understand how the front brake rod-adjuster functions.

I first thought it was another place to adjust the brakes as they wore down, just like the two main adjusters at each end of the cable. But now I realize it is more intended to sync the timing of each shoe, so they engage at the same time.

But if so, why is there so much room for adjustment there? It seems like all the adjustment room on that rod just allows for the user to engage the main shoe way before the secondary shoe. Is there another function I'm not considering?

Maybe I'm overthinking things here :-)

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Mon May 01, 2017 3:45 pm

When you apply the brakes, the rod and its threads are in tension. You want a good amount of thread engagement with the yokes on the brake arms to provide a greater load-carrying capacity than if you had just three or four threads engaged at each end. Once you get it adjusted to where both shoes apply evenly, you should not have to adjust it again. Regards, Chase

akpasta
honda305.com Member

Post by akpasta » Wed May 03, 2017 12:24 pm

Thanks for the info. I thought so.

I have heard a trick from Davo on this site, where you can remove the hub and re-position the arms on each brake post to get the very most out of your brake pads.

I keep thinking I'm nearing the end of their life, but always find new ways of adjusting them to get more life out of them!

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed May 03, 2017 12:50 pm

find new ways of adjusting them to get more life out of them
What does this mean?. ..............lm

akpasta wrote:Thanks for the info. I thought so.

I have heard a trick from Davo on this site, where you can remove the hub and re-position the arms on each brake post to get the very most out of your brake pads.

I keep thinking I'm nearing the end of their life, but always find new ways of adjusting them to get more life out of them!

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed May 03, 2017 2:27 pm

I think it means that some people value their lives less than a set of new brake shoes..... :-(

G

LOUD MOUSE wrote:find new ways of adjusting them to get more life out of them

'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed May 03, 2017 2:41 pm

WELL!!!!. ................lm
G-Man wrote:I think it means that some people value their lives less than a set of new brake shoes..... :-(

G

LOUD MOUSE wrote:find new ways of adjusting them to get more life out of them

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home