Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

More shock disassembly

cadman
honda305.com Member

More shock disassembly

Post by cadman » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:08 pm

Okay I built a fixture to compress the shock. It works - the shock compresses but the plastic housing will not separate from the upper mount. No amount of pry/pressing seems to help. Any ideas??

Thanks - Don

DJM
honda305.com Member

Shocks.

Post by DJM » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:04 pm

Not sure how your jig works but you shouldn't be compressing the shock at all!

You should be pushing the Top shroud and spring down away from the top mounting eye which will then free of the two collars. Once they are out of the way release the springs tension and the springs and covers will all come away.

If you've just compressed the whole shock absorber there will be even more pressure on the springs hence you can't shift the collars or covers.

There are a few clips on You Tube showing the process, perhaps someone else can point you towards one. Best I saw recently involved using a small trolley jack and made the process look very easy.

cadman
honda305.com Member

Shocks

Post by cadman » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:31 pm

I built a metal frame work to go around the upper mount and just push on the edges of the plastic cover. I used a "trolly" jack as you did. I am only pushing on the plastic cover. I fully expected the cover to be pushed down exposing the shock rod. Indeed the cover went down but the top mount went with it. I tried prying on the plastic cover to see if it would release from the upper mount - no luck.

Not sure what to do next - it seems the plastic cover is stuck to the upper mount. I can see a threaded rod on the inside bottom of the upper mount

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: Shocks

Post by G-Man » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:27 pm

I've done a few of all types with my 'general-purpose compressor. Yes the top eye often goes in with the spring but you can pull it back up easily.

With the Dream plastic covers you have to make sure that your top plate fits nicely around the top yoke so that it does not distort the cover.

G

cadman wrote:I built a metal frame work to go around the upper mount and just push on the edges of the plastic cover. I used a "trolly" jack as you did. I am only pushing on the plastic cover. I fully expected the cover to be pushed down exposing the shock rod. Indeed the cover went down but the top mount went with it. I tried prying on the plastic cover to see if it would release from the upper mount - no luck.

Not sure what to do next - it seems the plastic cover is stuck to the upper mount. I can see a threaded rod on the inside bottom of the upper mount
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Tim Miller
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Miller » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:34 pm

If you want to come by? I have the factory shock compressor. It will make the job easier.

Tim
cadman wrote:I built a metal frame work to go around the upper mount and just push on the edges of the plastic cover. I used a "trolly" jack as you did. I am only pushing on the plastic cover. I fully expected the cover to be pushed down exposing the shock rod. Indeed the cover went down but the top mount went with it. I tried prying on the plastic cover to see if it would release from the upper mount - no luck.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:36 pm

I think I have one of those, too.

Never assembled all of the parts. Must try it sometime.... :-)

G

Tim Miller wrote:If you want to come by? I have the factory shock compressor. It will make the job easier.

Tim

'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

DJM
honda305.com Member

Dismantling rear shocks.

Post by DJM » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:05 pm

If you've built a compressor something like Graham's it wouldn't take much to incorporate a second (fixed ) plate at the top to engage with the top eye and stop it moving down with the shroud and springs.

Yours can only be stuck somehow, (can't begin to guess what with) but a simple modification to your jig would mean that they HAVE to separate as the spring is compressed.

Just a point, are both of your shocks the same or have you only tried splitting one of them so far?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home