Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

More shock disassembly

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: Dismantling rear shocks.

Post by G-Man » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:06 pm

Yes - that would be pretty easy.

I have built a much sturdier device to pull out the damper rod when the spring is off. All my bits of kit for taking dampers apart are built around a similar principle (and spacing) so that I can re-use bits & pieces.

G
DJM wrote:If you've built a compressor something like Graham's it wouldn't take much to incorporate a second (fixed ) plate at the top to engage with the top eye and stop it moving down with the shroud and springs.

Yours can only be stuck somehow, (can't begin to guess what with) but a simple modification to your jig would mean that they HAVE to separate as the spring is compressed.

Just a point, are both of your shocks the same or have you only tried splitting one of them so far?
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

cadman
honda305.com Member

Shocks

Post by cadman » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:59 pm

I have a top plate much like the one in the picture. The difference is I have also fabed two straps that that attach to that plate and then attach to the bottom of a floor jack. Set the shock in and pump up the floor jack. That pushes the bottom of the shock up which would seem to have the same action as pulling the top down.

It would seem the fixture with the threaded shafts would do the same - either the bottom of the shock comes up or the top goes down, ????

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home