Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA77 Shock

cadman
honda305.com Member

CA77 Shock

Post by cadman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:18 pm

Attempting to disassemble a shock. I built a fixture to fit over the upper mount and grab the plastic cover - similar to what has been shown on this site. When pressing the shock it appeared the top of the plastic cover was being cut by something metallic underneath. Finally gave up and cut the plastic cover off to see what was happening. Apparently the cover extended almost to the shock shaft. Once apart there seems to no way to hold the shaft nor does there appear to be a nut to hold to loosen the upper mount. I have no idea how they put this together. I can push the other way and push the cylinder out the bottom.

More than likely this shock was off a 1962 Dream - I also had a 65 for parts and it could be either but I think it was off the 62.
Attachments
shock2.jpg
shock2.jpg (24 KiB) Viewed 2119 times

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: CA77 Shock

Post by G-Man » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:43 am

There is a locknut under the top eye.

You hold the aluminum part and undo the locknut when the spring is compressed. Then you unscrew the top eye and it will all come apart.

I've done plenty of these. CA72 and CA77 are the same part.

You've made life harder by cutting the cover off. You'll have to fashion some kind of clamp to grip the spring below the top eye. You just need to compress the spring enough to get at the locknut.

G
cadman wrote:Attempting to disassemble a shock. I built a fixture to fit over the upper mount and grab the plastic cover - similar to what has been shown on this site. When pressing the shock it appeared the top of the plastic cover was being cut by something metallic underneath. Finally gave up and cut the plastic cover off to see what was happening. Apparently the cover extended almost to the shock shaft. Once apart there seems to no way to hold the shaft nor does there appear to be a nut to hold to loosen the upper mount. I have no idea how they put this together. I can push the other way and push the cylinder out the bottom.

More than likely this shock was off a 1962 Dream - I also had a 65 for parts and it could be either but I think it was off the 62.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

cadman
honda305.com Member

Shock

Post by cadman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:13 am

I understand all that and had reviewed your pic before proceeding. The fixture I made was similar to yours but I was using a hydraulic press. If you look closely at my pics you will see a thin shiny object just below the red cover material.

I could fully compress the shock and if I continued the shiny object (maybe a large o-ring) would begin to break through the cover. At no time did shock shaft begin to push the upper mount up. I was afraid to continue for fear of distorting the lower mount (shock upside down - pushing down on lower mount). I think that maybe the 61-62 shocks were different.

You are right, now the problem is compressing the spring enough to see if I can remove the top mount. I will have to build a spring compressor or something to hold the shock shaft. Once apart I will know exactly what is happening.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: Shock

Post by G-Man » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:27 am

Cadman

The Damper shaft needs to be pulled up as you compress the spring. It will not 'pop up' as there is nothing to push it up. Even on the CL and CB types need you to pull the rod as you are compressing the spring. I think you compressed the spring too much hoping for the rod to pop up. It wont. Less compression and a tug on the rod does the trick.

The only difference between '60-61 shocks and the later ones is the cover, which is steel on the early ones and plastic on the later. I have dismantled both types. They are pysically the same when you get below the covers.

The shiny thing is just a steel washer to pretoct the plastic cover from the spring below. O-Rings are rubber and unlikely to be silver.

No secrets here, just simple old-fashioned stuff.

If you just make a hardwood clamp that holds the spring, you could use a couple of pieces of all-thread like mine and pull down on the spring. Saves you needing two pairs of hands.....

G

cadman wrote:I understand all that and had reviewed your pic before proceeding. The fixture I made was similar to yours but I was using a hydraulic press. If you look closely at my pics you will see a thin shiny object just below the red cover material.

I could fully compress the shock and if I continued the shiny object (maybe a large o-ring) would begin to break through the cover. At no time did shock shaft begin to push the upper mount up. I was afraid to continue for fear of distorting the lower mount (shock upside down - pushing down on lower mount). I think that maybe the 61-62 shocks were different.

You are right, now the problem is compressing the spring enough to see if I can remove the top mount. I will have to build a spring compressor or something to hold the shock shaft. Once apart I will know exactly what is happening.
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

cadman
honda305.com Member

Shock

Post by cadman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:45 pm

Okay - built a spring compressor and got it apart - much better understanding of disassembly. Apparently there aren't any replaceable parts except the top seal. Is that seal available??

Thanks - Don

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:29 am

Don

Honda changed the sizes a little from time to time.. I'm assuming a 26.4 bore, a 9mm rod and 10mm seal thickness.

Here is a near match from my bearing stockist in UK. You should be able to find a similar seal in Canada.

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Seals ... index.html

Good luck!

G
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

cadman
honda305.com Member

Shocks

Post by cadman » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:25 pm

Thanks for all the info - now how much oil in the shock??

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home