Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

New Front Brake Shoes - Difficult Adjustment

akpasta
honda305.com Member

New Front Brake Shoes - Difficult Adjustment

Post by akpasta » Mon May 14, 2018 10:55 am

Hi Folks,

Just replaced my front brake shoes on my CB77 and I lined up the cam post dots correctly and put everything back together and I can't get the cable connected at all, there isn't enough slack in the cable to get it to reach the brake arm. Even with the adjuster at the lever and hub adjusted all the way in there isn't enough slack. It's as if the brake engages too soon to connect the cable.

Something must be off here. Either the replacement pads are thicker than stock, or I installed something incorrectly.

I tried aligning the dots off a bit, so it would actuate the pads later, but that seems like it's producing unequal brake application on each shoe and at any rate it's a work around and not the "correct" adjustment.

Always been a bit confused by the adjustable linkage between the two arms, perhaps the problem is coming from here? Kind of seems like it "sets itself" as the linkage position basically determines whether you're able to get the dots on each cam aligned (you can only do so with the linkage adjusted a certain way), but again I don't know if this is correct.

Any advice?

Thank you!

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: New Front Brake Shoes - Difficult Adjustment

Post by G-Man » Mon May 14, 2018 11:39 am

Can you get the cable on if you just put on the main lever? Leave the other one off.

On brakes with removable linkage pins you would tighten both levers against the drum, then adjust the linkage to line up both pivot pins then drop the pins in, ensuring that both cams are synchronised.

With these, the two arms are permanently connected so you just need to ‘feel’ when the linkage is pulling on both levers. The new linings may be thcker than stock but you just move the levers around one spline, keeping them both the same.

G
akpasta wrote:Hi Folks,

Just replaced my front brake shoes on my CB77 and I lined up the cam post dots correctly and put everything back together and I can't get the cable connected at all, there isn't enough slack in the cable to get it to reach the brake arm. Even with the adjuster at the lever and hub adjusted all the way in there isn't enough slack. It's as if the brake engages too soon to connect the cable.

Something must be off here. Either the replacement pads are thicker than stock, or I installed something incorrectly.

I tried aligning the dots off a bit, so it would actuate the pads later, but that seems like it's producing unequal brake application on each shoe and at any rate it's a work around and not the "correct" adjustment.

Always been a bit confused by the adjustable linkage between the two arms, perhaps the problem is coming from here? Kind of seems like it "sets itself" as the linkage position basically determines whether you're able to get the dots on each cam aligned (you can only do so with the linkage adjusted a certain way), but again I don't know if this is correct.

Any advice?

Thank you!
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

akpasta
honda305.com Member

Re: New Front Brake Shoes - Difficult Adjustment

Post by akpasta » Mon May 14, 2018 1:25 pm

G-Man wrote:Can you get the cable on if you just put on the main lever? Leave the other one off.

The new linings may be thcker than stock but you just move the levers around one spline, keeping them both the same.

G
Not sure what you mean on the first point, you can't attach or remove the linkage with the wheels/brakes on the bike, the linkage hits the fork.

As for the second point, you are saying I should reposition the levers on the splines? I'm trying that but it is tricky to get both sides actuating at the same time.

mike in idaho
honda305.com Member

Post by mike in idaho » Thu May 17, 2018 6:36 pm

Pull the pivot bolt out of the handlebar brake lever, attach the cable end to the lever, work the cable into place in the adjuster slots. Feed the pivot part of the lever back into the bracket and insert the bolt. If you still don't have enough slack in the cable try removing the lock nut on the adjuster.
'65 YG1
'65 CB160
'66 CL160
'66 CL77
'78 XS650
'79 GL1000
'69 T100R
'68 TR6
'69 T120
'72 750 Commando
my company car is a Kenworth

border0_3
honda305.com Member

Post by border0_3 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:21 pm

Mikes suggestion of removing the brake lever, connecting the cable and then putting the lever back on to the handle bars has worked for me on several different bikes. G-Man fix if the lever one does give enough cable reach may be the answer. Cheers

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home