□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

After market rims+spokes

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:57 am

I just rebuilt my wheels, replacing the spokes and rear rim. The rim is the more expensive one at DSS and the spokes are from DSS. I have no complaints about either product. The rim, except for the placement of the DID stamp, appears to be the same as the old and the spoke angles are correct. The spokes, while a bit different in appearance work well.

I just wish DSS would be a bit more forthright about some of their replacement -- i.e. not NOS -- parts. They list this rim as a "Genuine Part" and it may well be but it is not a CB77/CB72 part. Interestingly, the part number 42701-290-003 has product code 290 but I can't find a machine with that code. Does anyone else know what it is?

Another problem I have run into is their ignoring thread pitch in their hardware. The alternator cover is attached with three oval head 5mm screws. DSS lists them here: http://www.davidsilverspares.com/CB77-305/part_43594/. I purchased a set but found them useless because they are ISO, not the old JIS. All DSS could tell me when I told them this by email was that Honda must have superseded the part. (Duh!) They offered to take them back but it's not worth the cost of sending them back.

It's good that they find replacement parts for our aging bikes that will keep them going but it would be nice if they would mention that some of their Genuine Parts are really for other bikes. For many, these would be acceptable parts but for someone doing a restoration they might not be. In my case I bought a clutch lever http://www.davidsilverspares.com/CB77-305/part_36831/ that appears to be mostly right but has a small notch where the cable attaches. I'll use it because I don't intend to show the bike but I am disappointed.

What they do now is, in my opinion, misleading although I don't think it is deliberately so. If I could buy their parts over the counter this wouldn't matter so much but given that everything has to be shipped they really should do better.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:56 am

Tim

Model code 290 is CL250.....

I hear you about DSS but they are trying to find parts that, in reality, Honda didn't identify properly themselves. I don't think there are any codes in their part numbers to identify whether screws have ISO threads or JIS.

G
Tim Allman wrote:I just rebuilt my wheels, replacing the spokes and rear rim. The rim is the more expensive one at DSS and the spokes are from DSS. I have no complaints about either product. The rim, except for the placement of the DID stamp, appears to be the same as the old and the spoke angles are correct. The spokes, while a bit different in appearance work well.

I just wish DSS would be a bit more forthright about some of their replacement -- i.e. not NOS -- parts. They list this rim as a "Genuine Part" and it may well be but it is not a CB77/CB72 part. Interestingly, the part number 42701-290-003 has product code 290 but I can't find a machine with that code. Does anyone else know what it is?

Another problem I have run into is their ignoring thread pitch in their hardware. The alternator cover is attached with three oval head 5mm screws. DSS lists them here: http://www.davidsilverspares.com/CB77-305/part_43594/. I purchased a set but found them useless because they are ISO, not the old JIS. All DSS could tell me when I told them this by email was that Honda must have superseded the part. (Duh!) They offered to take them back but it's not worth the cost of sending them back.

It's good that they find replacement parts for our aging bikes that will keep them going but it would be nice if they would mention that some of their Genuine Parts are really for other bikes. For many, these would be acceptable parts but for someone doing a restoration they might not be. In my case I bought a clutch lever http://www.davidsilverspares.com/CB77-305/part_36831/ that appears to be mostly right but has a small notch where the cable attaches. I'll use it because I don't intend to show the bike but I am disappointed.

What they do now is, in my opinion, misleading although I don't think it is deliberately so. If I could buy their parts over the counter this wouldn't matter so much but given that everything has to be shipped they really should do better.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Bert96
honda305.com Member

Post by Bert96 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:22 pm

I bought from Buchanan before,but its expensive....and i'm from Canada , so the money exchange is not good on top of that...

I can't believe all the guys who rebuild their bikes buy rims from Buchanan!?

I did get a quote from central-wheel.co.uk.Is it a good place?

Bert

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:30 pm

Bert96 wrote:...I did get a quote from central-wheel.co.uk.Is it a good place?
An excellent place. Even across the pond, they were very responsive and easy to deal with. I can happily recommend them.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:14 am

I haven't bought any new rims for ages. I get mine rechromed. If they are too far gone, I buy genuine originals in a condition that can be re-chromed.

This set was done with genuine NOS double-butted spokes.

G

Bert96 wrote:I bought from Buchanan before,but its expensive....and i'm from Canada , so the money exchange is not good on top of that...

Bert
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:06 pm

I see a SLS front wheel there!.
Also the rare rear brake cover. ........................lm

G-Man wrote:I haven't bought any new rims for ages. I get mine rechromed. If they are too far gone, I buy genuine originals in a condition that can be re-chromed.

This set was done with genuine NOS double-butted spokes.

G

Bert96 wrote:I bought from Buchanan before,but its expensive....and i'm from Canada , so the money exchange is not good on top of that...

Bert

Bert96
honda305.com Member

Post by Bert96 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:49 am

The guy at central-wheel told me that they sell the same rims for cb360 and cb77. ??????

I would like to know if its ok or not!? I'm a little bit lost...

Bert

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home