Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Front suspension problem

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Front suspension problem

Post by Tim Allman » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:54 pm

I am now assembling the CB77 that I have been working on for the last few years and discovered that I have a problem with the 'CASE, bottom, left front fork' as it's called in the parts book. This bike was crashed before my father bought it for me in 1969 (my mother was not impressed!) and I have discovered a number of things that were poorly repaired by the previous owner.

While installing the front suspension I discovered that the 'PIPE, front fork' jammed at the location of the fender mount and a look down the case showed a small bulge on the inside. This was caused by the person at the motorcycle repair shop in London (Ontario) that I have been using while installing a Helicoil and is one of several problems I am finding only now in parts that they worked on over these last few years. GRRRRRR!!!!!

My bike is a late one but not the latest with a frame number of CB77-1042738. According to the parts book it should take part number 51565-268-030S and I found one here:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/312803824629?ha ... SwZ15dpIZY

Looking at the pictures all seemed fine until I saw the one showing the inside of the case from the top:
https://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/2/4/3 ... 138_tp.jpg

You can see the internal tube that runs almost to the top of the case but my cases have much shorter internal tubes, perhaps 5 or 6 cm long. There is one final revision of the front suspension (at CB77-1056084, case part number 51565-268-040S) and it seems possible that the newer parts were used during the repair but I can't find a picture to see if the long internal tube was shortened in this revision. Bill Silver mentions this change but unfortunately doesn't describe it.

Does anyone have any insight into my problem?

BTW, I should ask if something like this is reasonably repairable. I have assumed that it isn't but most of you know more about this stuff than I do.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home