Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Gearshift Arm Position

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
ZillahBill
honda305.com Member

Gearshift Arm Position

Post by ZillahBill » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:57 pm

I am moving ahead with my 1965 CB77 project bike and if the clutch and transmission work I am ready to give it the first ride in 40 plus years. That's a long time for a transmission to just set there. The clutch was stuck so I took it all apart, cleaned everything and put it back together. I think there must be an optimal position for the gear shift arm in order to get maximum mechanical advantage with the gear shift lever. I have included a pic so you can tell me if the right position for nuetral. I could not find ping marks. I even got out the magifying glass but I am pretty old and small things sometimes escape me. Right now I can't get it to go into gear pressing down with gear shift lever. I can get it to go into a gear by lifting up and then go back to nuetral pressing down. I'm hoping that getting it to work a little will free things up and function will improve. Am I dreaming? Another question: Does the gear shift lever stay in basically the same orientation as you go up and down in the gears? I am asking because there seems to be very little clearance between the gear shift lever and the foot peg.
Attachments
gearshift arm 1.jpg

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Re: Gearshift Arm Position

Post by deuce_7 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:52 pm

The gearshift pedal should return to a neutral middle position after each shift. Sounds like it wants to go up into 2-3-4 gears and doesn't want to go down into 1st gear? Nothing should feel "forced" when operating the foot shift lever.

The Super Hawk folks will know more about that shifter pedal positioning and shift characteristics. In the gear change shift mechanism within the left side engine cover, there are lever arms, springs and shift forks that can wear out or not be installed properly.

When bike is running, clutch adjusted and on the road, it's then possible the shift lever can then be selected down into 1st gear for a test drive.
1967 CL77 305 Scrambler

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:59 am

As deuce_7 points out, it is not possible to tell what gear, if any, the bike is in by looking.

There should be a small dimple in the end of the shaft that lines up with one on the arm that clamps to the shaft. These should line up as it doesn't work as well with even it's only one spline out of registration. It appears to me that your foot lever is a bit high. You could lower it with the threaded rod but that should be used only for your comfort. What matters most is how the arm relates to the shaft. All I can suggest is to clean the parts well and have another look or find someone with better eyes. (I would not be that person.)

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:01 pm

The shift arm on the shaft coming out of the engine, should be perpendicular to the connector rod when at rest. You will get maximum leverage that way. The connector rod can then be lengthened or shortened for comfortable pedal position. You may have to move the shift arm on the splines to achieve this.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home