Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Front/Rear Sprockets: Teeth/Supplier?

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
Dean
honda305.com Member

Front/Rear Sprockets: Teeth/Supplier?

Post by Dean » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:06 am

Honda CB77:<br />How many teeth should the front and rear sprockets have?<br />My bike seems to be very slow pulling away from the traffic lights and feels under geared: I prefer more acceleration and a lower top speed as where I live it is very hilly.<br /><br />Does anyone know of a supplier for sprockets in the UK?<br /><br />Dean,<br />Bilbao, Spain<br /><br />

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Re: Front/Rear Sprockets: Teeth/Supplier?

Post by kustommusic » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:26 pm

Dean, I see your question has sat here for awhile and you may have already figured out the answer. But if not here is what I know about it. The front standard sprocket is 14 teeth the rear is 34. At least on my '67 cb77 this is the case. On my first cb77 I owned in my earlier years I changed out the rear sprocket with a scrambler(cl77) and had a 37 tooth sprocket that way. I had to lengthen the chain though! A easier way to go is changing the front sprocket to a 13 tooth,you won't have to do anything but readjust the chain that way. And just 1 tooth on the front makes a big difference. You might want to do some quick counting to verify all this on your bike. I have seen alot of these front sprockets on E-bay. Don't know if that is available in Spain. also might try David Silver Spares in the U.K. Good Luck! let us know how you made out.

Dean
honda305.com Member

Re: Front/Rear Sprockets: Teeth/Supplier?

Post by Dean » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:25 am

Thanks for the advice,<br />I've located a 37 tooth sprocket at David Silver spares. <br />I hadn't thought about the lenth of chain problem, just as well you brought the matter up.<br />The bike is almost finished, just need to do the final tuning and test it. Based on this I will take a decision on the gearing. I want to use the bike for classic sprinting here in Spain. Before I dismantled the bike it felt slow off the line, hence the desire to change the gearing.<br /><br />Dean<br />Bilbao<br /><br />
kustommusic wrote:<br />Dean, I see your question has sat here for awhile and you may have already figured out the answer. But if not here is what I know about it. The front standard sprocket is 14 teeth the rear is 34. At least on my '67 cb77 this is the case. On my first cb77 I owned in my earlier years I changed out the rear sprocket with a scrambler(cl77) and had a 37 tooth sprocket that way. I had to lengthen the chain though! A easier way to go is changing the front sprocket to a 13 tooth,you won't have to do anything but readjust the chain that way. And just 1 tooth on the front makes a big difference. You might want to do some quick counting to verify all this on your bike. I have seen alot of these front sprockets on E-bay. Don't know if that is available in Spain. also might try David Silver Spares in the U.K. Good Luck! let us know how you made out.<br />

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home