Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Slipping Clutch

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
~Aron~
honda305.com Member

Slipping Clutch

Post by ~Aron~ » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:46 am

I have just started to ride my 67 CL77 and the clutch engages fine but it slips under acceleration. It will pull the bike down the road at 60mph but the clutch slips easliy. I havent pulled it apart yet. I did pull apart a parts engine I had here. What are the tolerances on the plates and the discs? What's with the retaining clips on the first disc and plate? I read in another post about lm blasting the discs? I assume sandblasting to have more grab?

Thanks in advance.
1967 CL77 Owner (work in progress)

jesmed
honda305.com Member

Post by jesmed » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:27 am

When I first bought my 1965 as a basket case and finally got it running, my clutch slipped too. I bought a new set of discs and installed them and that solved the problem. Suggest you try that--discs are pretty cheap for a set.

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:37 pm

Do you have sufficient play at the lever? If the cable is adjusted too tight. it will cause the clutch to slip.. If that's not the problem, you will probably want to chage out the friction discs, and I bead blast the steel plates, and replace the springs with the 425 center code springs which give it a nice light pull at the lever.

davomoto

~Aron~
honda305.com Member

clutch

Post by ~Aron~ » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:24 pm

I have silica sand I could blast it with but I think that would be too coarse. Where can I find the bead blast media? As for the springs I haven't taken the clutch on my bike apart yet so I will see when I do. I have plenty of play on the lever.

~Aron~
honda305.com Member

clutch

Post by ~Aron~ » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:50 am

Well I opened up my clutch the last night. Of the 2 I have one has the white springs so I will be using them. I think I wll measure the thickness of the 2 sets of discs I have and use the better ones. I'm gonna try using the silica sand at low pressure on the steel discs. Hopefully this will resolve the slipping clutch.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: clutch

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:58 am

You can use the sand on the steel no problem.
What are the friction disc made of?. ......lm

~Aron~ wrote:Well I opened up my clutch the last night. Of the 2 I have one has the white springs so I will be using them. I think I wll measure the thickness of the 2 sets of discs I have and use the better ones. I'm gonna try using the silica sand at low pressure on the steel discs. Hopefully this will resolve the slipping clutch.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

Superchicken
honda305.com Member

Post by Superchicken » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:27 pm

I have been told that putting the plates in boiling water, to get the rest of the sand out of the metal. Otherwise it goes in the oil, which can't help the bearings.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home