Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA77 Clutch Trouble......Solved!

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
Erich
honda305.com Member

CA77 Clutch Trouble......Solved!

Post by Erich » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:36 pm

I've been having nothing but trouble with the clutch on my '66 CA77. Slipping when cold, dragging when warmed up. The first few miles (when cold) I could shift without much trouble. After it heated up and started dragging I could rarely ever get it back into neutral.

A couple of weeks ago I finally dug in there to see what I could do. My clutch had 5 all-fiber discs and the 2 retaining wires. I did a little research here on the forum, then ended up calling Ed for some advice.

He comes the solution.......Ed suggested I try out one of his special "Loud Mouse Approved" clutches. It's the latest version clutch with all the features Ed recommends. Aluminum discs, 2 wires, cush drive, white spring and Ed's special "treatment". I received it a few days ago and got it installed yesterday. I took my lifter assembly all apart. I cleaned and checked for wear before greasing and reassembling it. I also ended up shortening my clutch cable a few inches(I'm running slightly lower superbike bars). I've now got a big arch that runs under the tank, into the forks without any sharp kinks. For you Dream guys running these bars, I've not got 38" of sleeve and 42" of cable. Last thing I did was follow Ed's instructions for adjusting the clutch.....

"Screw both cable adjusters IN as far as they will go. Loosen the bolt (10mm head) and with a large screw driver turn the adjuster right/left/right then move it back (left) 1/8 inch and tighten the bolt. Using the cable adjusters adjust the lever to apx. 1/4 inch free play. ...................lm"

Well I rode about 30 miles in the last 2 days. Clutch now grabs nice and firm, no more slipping. It also releases no matter how warm or cold the engine is. No more dragging at stop lights, and I can now get it in neutral just about any time I want. The lever pull is slightly stiffer than my original clutch, but the trade offs make it hardly even noticable.

Big thanks to LOUDMOUSE!

-Erich

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: CA77 Clutch Trouble......Solved!

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:04 am

I'm a bunch late to read this but even that I'll say "You are welcome. ......................lm

Erich wrote:I've been having nothing but trouble with the clutch on my '66 CA77. Slipping when cold, dragging when warmed up. The first few miles (when cold) I could shift without much trouble. After it heated up and started dragging I could rarely ever get it back into neutral.

A couple of weeks ago I finally dug in there to see what I could do. My clutch had 5 all-fiber discs and the 2 retaining wires. I did a little research here on the forum, then ended up calling Ed for some advice.

He comes the solution.......Ed suggested I try out one of his special "Loud Mouse Approved" clutches. It's the latest version clutch with all the features Ed recommends. Aluminum discs, 2 wires, cush drive, white spring and Ed's special "treatment". I received it a few days ago and got it installed yesterday. I took my lifter assembly all apart. I cleaned and checked for wear before greasing and reassembling it. I also ended up shortening my clutch cable a few inches(I'm running slightly lower superbike bars). I've now got a big arch that runs under the tank, into the forks without any sharp kinks. For you Dream guys running these bars, I've not got 38" of sleeve and 42" of cable. Last thing I did was follow Ed's instructions for adjusting the clutch.....

"Screw both cable adjusters IN as far as they will go. Loosen the bolt (10mm head) and with a large screw driver turn the adjuster right/left/right then move it back (left) 1/8 inch and tighten the bolt. Using the cable adjusters adjust the lever to apx. 1/4 inch free play. ...................lm"

Well I rode about 30 miles in the last 2 days. Clutch now grabs nice and firm, no more slipping. It also releases no matter how warm or cold the engine is. No more dragging at stop lights, and I can now get it in neutral just about any time I want. The lever pull is slightly stiffer than my original clutch, but the trade offs make it hardly even noticable.

Big thanks to LOUDMOUSE!

-Erich

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home