Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

'66 CL77 Shifting Problem

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
Dennis
honda305.com Member

'66 CL77 Shifting Problem

Post by Dennis » Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:42 pm

<br />Background as follows:<br /><br />Since 1974 when I got it in boxes and brought it back to life, the bike has shifted without problem, although always a bit on the hard side. It has always had six clutch plates. The ones in the bike now are brand new. A few months ago, after riding about 20 minutes at 40-45 m.p.h. I could not push or pull the shift lever into any gear with my toes or foot. I had to lean down and muscle it with my hand to get to any gear. I stopped riding and returned the bike to the garage.<br />I then was out of town for a few months and the bike sat.<br />Upon return I ran the bike briefly and it shifted without problem, as it had for the thirty-odd previous years. However, after about 20 minutes it again &quot;froze&quot; for a few minutes, but then came back to normal operation.<br />One expert, respected source advises simply going to 5 disks and corresponding plates. But both the Honda and Clymer Manuals for this bike show six, and I have the long history of problem-free operation.<br />What is going on, and how can I cure this once and for all?<br />Thanks to the worldwide 305 gang for any help you can give.<br />Dennis in Houston

jesse
honda305.com Member

Re: '66 CL77 Shifting Problem

Post by jesse » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:23 pm

sounds like the clutch is draging when it heats up.try changing the oil,and use honda motorcycle oil.this may cure your problem.

Dennis
honda305.com Member

Re: '66 CL77 Shifting Problem

Post by Dennis » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:46 am

jesse wrote:<br />sounds like the clutch is draging when it heats up.try changing the oil,and use honda motorcycle oil.this may cure your problem.<br />
<br /><br />Thanks, Jesse. I have gone to five discs and have had my lower right side clutch cable entry all adjusted as well. Seems that small spring inside had worked its way through its slot. It is now reconnected.<br />Initial ride says things are fixed. Longer ride to soon confirm.<br />Dennis

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home