Admirers

Duplex Primary Chain

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Primary drive chain

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:41 pm

If I offered you a GOOD used one would you trust me?. ...................lm
mark acker wrote:Does anyone know where a primary drive chain, located in the right side crank case cover for 1967 CL77 305 scrambler can be purchased? Mine has too much slack.

The chain tensioner was replaced, has not solved the problem. The chain is hitting the top of the crank case cover, causing wear.

I have had problems locating one, the suppliers that I have used all say it is no longer available, I don't want to get someone else's used one with the same problem, which seems to be what it out there on ebay.

the-chauffeur
honda305.com Member

Are Moore Performance still in business?

Post by the-chauffeur » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:02 am

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I've come to the conclusion that the standard primary chain is so hard to find I've got to consider alternatives for the CL and CA that I'm working on. I've spoken to Sprockets Unlimited who tell me they only have limited chain stock and by all accounts, won't be getting any more in.

Anyone know if Moore Performance are still in business? Looks like the website is dead. Alternatively, does anyone other than Cappellini do a duplex conversion kit?

G-man - if you're reading this, can you remember what Moore were charging for theirs? I'm contemplating looking for someone local to do some engineering, but a pre-made kit does make a lot of sense.

Thanks all

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: Are Moore Performance still in business?

Post by G-Man » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:24 pm

Hi

Ellis Moore had a bad racing accident so is unlikely to be trading again.

The duplex chain is standard stuff that is used on Triumphs. My CB77 race-bike has a duplex chain conversion acquired by the previous owner.

I'll ask him about it.

G
the-chauffeur wrote:Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I've come to the conclusion that the standard primary chain is so hard to find I've got to consider alternatives for the CL and CA that I'm working on. I've spoken to Sprockets Unlimited who tell me they only have limited chain stock and by all accounts, won't be getting any more in.

Anyone know if Moore Performance are still in business? Looks like the website is dead. Alternatively, does anyone other than Cappellini do a duplex conversion kit?

G-man - if you're reading this, can you remember what Moore were charging for theirs? I'm contemplating looking for someone local to do some engineering, but a pre-made kit does make a lot of sense.

Thanks all
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

GORDON BROWN
honda305.com Member

Duplex primary

Post by GORDON BROWN » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Hello Everyone

I believe that Nova Transmissions (novaracing.co.uk) also still produce the conversion. Not sure if the clutch sprocket is in steel or alloy though.

I remember getting a steel one years ago then drilling extra holes to lighten it, only to find the next batch were being made from "alloy". I know this was brought up on this site before but its worth noting that the steel one is not much heavier than the std. system.

Gordon

SAFOJ

the-chauffeur
honda305.com Member

Post by the-chauffeur » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:31 am

Thanks Gordon.

Ouch, I thought the Cappellini bits weren't cheap, but at least I could see how their pricing worked 'cos they sell the tensioner sprocket separately, so the cost of that gives you some idea of why the kit is priced as it is.

Looks like the Nova kit contains fewer bits and costs more or less the same. Granted the sprockets might be made of tougher stuff specially for racing, but I'm not going to need to go that mad.

If I end up going the duplex chain way - and assuming they're still offering them - I guess I'm likely to go with Cappellini.

Still holding out the tiniest hope for some standard primary chains though. I'll try contacting the original manufacturer and see what they say.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home