Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

bronze in filter

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:02 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Question about the 14mm brass bushing.
Did you install it on the shaft with the correct end in first gear?. ................lm
Or could it have been the squared-off ridge type? Playing Colombo here, I wouldn't mind betting that first gear may have worn the bush's ridge away (excuse the phraseology...)

rrietman
honda305.com Member

Post by rrietman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:44 pm

LM; yes it is easy to install incorrectly, causing immediate wear. but I have used Tims bushes in a several motors and had brass in the oil right away anyway. also still some first gear funkiness. I am using decent originals now (but running out).
Randy

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:26 pm

Do the HONDA issue wear out?. ..................lm
rrietman wrote:LM; yes it is easy to install incorrectly, causing immediate wear. but I have used Tims bushes in a several motors and had brass in the oil right away anyway. also still some first gear funkiness. I am using decent originals now (but running out).
Randy

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:51 pm

e3steve wrote:
Did you install it on the shaft with the correct end in first gear?. ................lm
Or could it have been the squared-off ridge type? Playing Colombo here, I wouldn't mind betting that first gear may have worn the bush's ridge away (excuse the phraseology...)
lm, I'll see when I get it apart, but I'm pretty sure it was installed correctly. There is an interior taper and oil hole on the end that goes into first gear, I remember noting that.

Steve, I know the one I installed had the squared-off ridge, and that did concern me when I installed it since the gear is tapered there.
63 CA78

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:52 pm

All of those bushings have flat sides no taper at the middle ??????????????. ............lm
OldStan wrote:
e3steve wrote:
lm, I'll see when I get it apart, but I'm pretty sure it was installed correctly. There is an interior taper and oil hole on the end that goes into first gear, I remember noting that.

Steve, I know the one I installed had the squared-off ridge, and that did concern me when I installed it since the gear is tapered there.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:22 am

A good bit of pre-reassembly learning going on here, especially for me! Thumbs up.

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Got it apart, bushing definitely the issue. Half seized in each gear. It was installed correctly, notice the oil hole showing in first gear. Also causing the kick-start problem, first gear very loose on the shaft, and the pawl, spring and plunger look good. Not sure if I'll be able to save the gears. I do have extras, so not a huge concern.

The bushing picture is of ones I've removed from several engines, including this one. I'm thinking about using the best looking one, but I'm not sure how worn that ridge is from new. I might be better off using it in any case. I do have another bike to tear apart, might get into that and see what that bushing is like. I'll look for a NOS, but not hold my breath. Anyone have a line on a quality aftermarket one?

As to the cause, I have a couple of possible ideas. 1. OD was too large not allowing proper lube to enter. It looks to me it is splash lubed. I never let the oil level get low, and I run it often enough it should never get dry. 2. too soft of material.

I don't believe the oil I use could be a problem, have been using the same oil on my CA77 for more miles with no problem.
Attachments
P1050270.JPG
P1050270.JPG (160.5 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
P1050269.JPG
P1050269.JPG (153 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
P1050268.JPG
P1050268.JPG (162 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
63 CA78

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home