Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

bronze in filter

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:26 pm

2 threads.
I now see the answer to my question on the other thread.
Must admit I've never seen a bushing in that condition!
As for the middle of the bushing I'm beginning to think that any high area will work because the NOS/OEM ones wear in a hurry mile wise!.
I have NOS/OEM if you decide. ......... .............lm

OldStan wrote:Got it apart, bushing definitely the issue. Half seized in each gear. It was installed correctly, notice the oil hole showing in first gear. Also causing the kick-start problem, first gear very loose on the shaft, and the pawl, spring and plunger look good. Not sure if I'll be able to save the gears. I do have extras, so not a huge concern.

The bushing picture is of ones I've removed from several engines, including this one. I'm thinking about using the best looking one, but I'm not sure how worn that ridge is from new. I might be better off using it in any case. I do have another bike to tear apart, might get into that and see what that bushing is like. I'll look for a NOS, but not hold my breath. Anyone have a line on a quality aftermarket one?

As to the cause, I have a couple of possible ideas. 1. OD was too large not allowing proper lube to enter. It looks to me it is splash lubed. I never let the oil level get low, and I run it often enough it should never get dry. 2. too soft of material.

I don't believe the oil I use could be a problem, have been using the same oil on my CA77 for more miles with no problem.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:28 pm

Is there a DOG missing on the small gear which would throw torsion on bushing?. ..........lm
OldStan wrote:Got it apart, bushing definitely the issue. Half seized in each gear. It was installed correctly, notice the oil hole showing in first gear. Also causing the kick-start problem, first gear very loose on the shaft, and the pawl, spring and plunger look good. Not sure if I'll be able to save the gears. I do have extras, so not a huge concern.

The bushing picture is of ones I've removed from several engines, including this one. I'm thinking about using the best looking one, but I'm not sure how worn that ridge is from new. I might be better off using it in any case. I do have another bike to tear apart, might get into that and see what that bushing is like. I'll look for a NOS, but not hold my breath. Anyone have a line on a quality aftermarket one?

As to the cause, I have a couple of possible ideas. 1. OD was too large not allowing proper lube to enter. It looks to me it is splash lubed. I never let the oil level get low, and I run it often enough it should never get dry. 2. too soft of material.

I don't believe the oil I use could be a problem, have been using the same oil on my CA77 for more miles with no problem.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:32 pm

Did you check the oil hole in the KS shaft to make sure it wasn't closed with gunk?. ......lm

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:19 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:2 threads.

As for the middle of the bushing I'm beginning to think that any high area will work because the NOS/OEM ones wear in a hurry mile wise!.
I have NOS/OEM if you decide. ......... .............lm
What kind of life can you get out of NOS/OEM bearings? Or is it just the center that wears down? I have one that's a good fit in the gear and on the shaft (the one on the right in the picture) but wonder how the center compares to NOS, and how long it will live?
Is there a DOG missing on the small gear which would throw torsion on bushing?. ..........lm
No dogs missing.
Did you check the oil hole in the KS shaft to make sure it wasn't closed with gunk?. ......lm
Oil hole is clear.
63 CA78

rrietman
honda305.com Member

Post by rrietman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:49 am

my thinking is if the radial clearances are tolerable---use it. don't worry about the ridge/flange.
Good luck
Randy

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:01 am

The bush in my 1961 engine has a much larger, tapered flange in the middle, no oil hole and a straight oil groove. It doesn't seem to have suffered any wear, despite the 350 kit in the engine.

The kickstart gear has a matching large taper which mates up with the bush.

I wonder why they 'improved' the design?

I suppose the straight slot and the taper were extra machining operations and the 'new' style could all be made quickly on a single setting in a lathe........

Looking at the fit of the early bush in the gear it is clear that the adjacent part cannot put any load on that flange because it is below th esurface of the kickstart gear. Interesting. I've not looked at a later gearbox for a while. Must go and look. Perhaps it's possible to come up with a better bush.....

G

rrietman wrote:my thinking is if the radial clearances are tolerable---use it. don't worry about the ridge/flange.
Good luck
Randy
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:34 am

That's a design I've never seen. ..............lm
G-Man wrote:The bush in my 1961 engine has a much larger, tapered flange in the middle, no oil hole and a straight oil groove. It doesn't seem to have suffered any wear, despite the 350 kit in the engine.

The kickstart gear has a matching large taper which mates up with the bush.

I wonder why they 'improved' the design?

I suppose the straight slot and the taper were extra machining operations and the 'new' style could all be made quickly on a single setting in a lathe........

Looking at the fit of the early bush in the gear it is clear that the adjacent part cannot put any load on that flange because it is below th esurface of the kickstart gear. Interesting. I've not looked at a later gearbox for a while. Must go and look. Perhaps it's possible to come up with a better bush.....

G

rrietman wrote:my thinking is if the radial clearances are tolerable---use it. don't worry about the ridge/flange.
Good luck
Randy

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home