Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

bronze in filter

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:51 am

That is strange stuff for sure.
I think since lead is no longer part of the gas that there is less junk that goes into the cylinder and into the oil. ...................lm

OldStan wrote:I cleaned it out,seems to be brass, non-magnetic, all very fine stuff, nearly a paste. From the color not sure what else it could be.

Is it the lack of lead or the better additives that makes it cleaner burning?
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Have you removed some of the stuff and are sure it is brass?
A side knot is now we no longer have leaded gas the oil sure doesn't carry a lot of debris. ...............lm

OldStan wrote:I've put 785 miles on it since the original post. I went on an AMCA Road Run in Yosemite, a lot of 3rd gear over several major mountain passes (over 9000 ft elevation) along with a few other smaller trips. Pulled the filter and this is what you see. I haven't noticed anything unusual in the operation of the transmission. I'll continue to monitor the situation.

CharlesM
honda305.com Member

Post by CharlesM » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:23 pm

Did you find anything? I bought a CB72 which sounds similar. When I dropped the oil I found fine brass deposits in it. I took the filter out and it was heavily deposited with thick oil, fine brass and aluminium/steel. I pulled the engine, stripped the bottom end down and found nothing worn. I did find the float chamber inlet jet from a carb in there, so maybe someone dropped something in which has since been munched.

The top end looked good and I wasn't keen to go knocking out the cams if I didn't need to. Seeing as I was pretty sure the little end wasn't brass I put it back together and annoy monitoring the situation. As yet, no more brass.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:30 pm

Other than the 14MM brass bushing there are a couple of gears with brass bushings which wear.
I can only imagine that is where that brass is coming from.
I think that due to the brass wearing at the 14MM and top gear is a reason that HONDA offers the off set cotters. .................lm

CharlesM wrote:Did you find anything? I bought a CB72 which sounds similar. When I dropped the oil I found fine brass deposits in it. I took the filter out and it was heavily deposited with thick oil, fine brass and aluminium/steel. I pulled the engine, stripped the bottom end down and found nothing worn. I did find the float chamber inlet jet from a carb in there, so maybe someone dropped something in which has since been munched.

The top end looked good and I wasn't keen to go knocking out the cams if I didn't need to. Seeing as I was pretty sure the little end wasn't brass I put it back together and annoy monitoring the situation. As yet, no more brass.

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:11 pm

CharlesM wrote:Did you find anything? I bought a CB72 which sounds similar. When I dropped the oil I found fine brass deposits in it. I took the filter out and it was heavily deposited with thick oil, fine brass and aluminium/steel. I pulled the engine, stripped the bottom end down and found nothing worn. I did find the float chamber inlet jet from a carb in there, so maybe someone dropped something in which has since been munched.

I haven't put on many miles since the last post, still running fine. Probably won't be riding a lot until the weather warms up a bit. I don't plan on tearing into it until I have a problem, or if the brass in the filter bugs me too much. I agree with lm as to where the brass is probably coming from. I hadn't considered offset cotters when I put it together, but will keep them in mind if I do tear into it.
63 CA78

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:13 am

I'm working os a CL77 engine and to my surprise when I opened the oil filter I found the inside of the cap was clean but I found 3/16" of dirt/carbon in the rotor body.
Makes me wonder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. ................lm

OldStan wrote:

I haven't put on many miles since the last post, still running fine. Probably won't be riding a lot until the weather warms up a bit. I don't plan on tearing into it until I have a problem, or if the brass in the filter bugs me too much. I agree with lm as to where the brass is probably coming from. I hadn't considered offset cotters when I put it together, but will keep them in mind if I do tear into it.

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:26 pm

Thought I'd update the brass situation. I've put about another 1000 miles on it. Changed the oil, cleaned the filter, very little in it, brass or the usual black gunk. Transmission operating perfectly.
63 CA78

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:39 pm

Time for another update. Another 700 miles ( about 4500 total since overhaul) and there's some real fine brass and some small black chunks, not sure what they are, not metallic. Found these in my Dream when I changed the oil in it this time (never any brass in it, about 4500 miles on it since overhaul as well.) Everything is working well, so until something else gives me a sign there's a problem I'll keep on riding.
Attachments
P1050101.JPG
P1050101.JPG (154.5 KiB) Viewed 2254 times
63 CA78

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home